X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NorCalPiper is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Circa 1850's Cameron of Erracht Kilt

Hi All-
    Check these out-Circa 1850's Cameron of Erracht kilt. Looks like a knife pleated job....Probably about 4-5 yards by reveal length. More on this kilt in a bit....

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was discussed last year. Can't find the thread but the original info is here http://www.boydhouse.com/alice/Camer...dercameron.htm

The kilt is definitely box pleated. Wilsons' 79th Regt cloth c1820-50.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see the lay of the pleats a bit more clearly in this photo:

Definitely box pleated.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's either a different version of Cameron of Erracht or it's not cameron of erracht. The yellow is running in the GREEN section in the photos of the kilt. In Cameron of Erracht, the yellow runs through the BLUE:

It's still a very neat kilt and pretty cool pictures. I just noticed the discrepency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    It's either a different version of Cameron of Erracht or it's not cameron of erracht. The yellow is running in the GREEN section in the photos of the kilt. In Cameron of Erracht, the yellow runs through the BLUE:

Yeah RockyR your right the version seen is the Cameron of Erracht (Ancient) and the one you mentioned is the Cameron of Erracht (Modern)

http://www.lochcarron.com/reiver/cam...f_erracht.html

It's still a very neat kilt and pretty cool pictures. I just noticed the discrepency.

All the best,

Graham

Another note: the yellow pivot on the green is what I understand it to be known as the Carnegie tartan:

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar...s.aspx?ref=566 (Carnegie tartan yellow pivot on the green)

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar....aspx?ref=5258 (Cameron the yellow pivot on the green)

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar...s.aspx?ref=495 (Cameron the yellow pivot on the blue)
    Last edited by Graham A. Robieson; 16th February 11 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Tartan versions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham A. Robieson View Post
    Yeah RockyR your right the version seen is the Cameron of Erracht (Ancient) and the one you mentioned is the Cameron of Erracht (Modern)

http://www.lochcarron.com/reiver/cam...f_erracht.html
    It is extremely odd that this would be the case as "modern" v. "ancient" is all about the color scheme and not about the thread pattern. But clearly that's the way they're doing it at Lochcarron. I wonder what the precedent is for this.
    Kenneth Mansfield
    NON OBLIVISCAR
    My tartan quilt: Austin, Campbell, Hamilton, MacBean, MacFarlane, MacLean, MacRae, Robertson, Sinclair (and counting)

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackerDrummer View Post
    It is extremely odd that this would be the case as "modern" v. "ancient" is all about the color scheme and not about the thread pattern. But clearly that's the way they're doing it at Lochcarron. I wonder what the precedent is for this.
    That's not the way they are doing it at Lochcarron. That's simply a misidentified picture on the Lochcarron web site. The tartan labelled as "Cameron of Erracht ancient" is actually Carnegie ancient. The two tartans are obviously very similar so in all likelihood the mistake on the Lochcarron web site was due to human error - someone cataloging about 500 tartan images in one day made a quick misidentification. :-)

But back to Rocky's point -- good eye! -- the nineteenth century kilt in question is not Cameron of Erracht, but nor is it Carnegie. To me it looks the most like Wilsons' MacDonald of Glengarry, with yellow in place of white. But perhaps the stripe was originally white and has turned over time?

Any thoughts, Peter?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    That's not the way they are doing it at Lochcarron. That's simply a misidentified picture on the Lochcarron web site. The tartan labelled as "Cameron of Erracht ancient" is actually Carnegie ancient. The two tartans are obviously very similar so in all likelihood the mistake on the Lochcarron web site was due to human error - someone cataloging about 500 tartan images in one day made a quick misidentification. :-)
    Quite right, Matt. They have it correct on their Strome line page.
    http://lochcarron.com/tartanstrome/c...f_erracht.html
    Kenneth Mansfield
    NON OBLIVISCAR
    My tartan quilt: Austin, Campbell, Hamilton, MacBean, MacFarlane, MacLean, MacRae, Robertson, Sinclair (and counting)

NorCalPiper is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aahhhhh-You're right-I thought I could see some continuation of the set to the left in the pic where the kilt is being held up and it looked to me like a knife pleat, but you're right. It is a BP.

Another thing that I'm trying to get pictures of is the sporran. It has the most unique look I've ever seen. I've emailed the woman who has it for more pics. Good catch on the tartan too-What a mystery...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    But back to Rocky's point -- good eye! -- the nineteenth century kilt in question is not Cameron of Erracht, but nor is it Carnegie. To me it looks the most like Wilsons' MacDonald of Glengarry, with yellow in place of white. But perhaps the stripe was originally white and has turned over time?

Any thoughts, Peter?
    I completely missed that too. I think because the owner was a Cameron, and on a quick glace the sett is visually similar to the Erracht, I made the assumption.

The stripe in question looks to be silk which was a classic Wilsons' technique for paler lines in some pieces. If you look at the damaged section to the left of the sporran in your post you'll see the stripe looks white there so I'm inclined to think that this is Wilsons' Glengarry and that the white has yellowed the age and exposure which is something that silk does more readily that wool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast