X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Freelancer is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinon on Hose for Formal Wear

Question for our esteemed traditionalists. Would you consider these hose appropriate for formal wear (black argyle with silver buttons)? Specifically, the Eildon pattern.

http://giftshop.scottishtartans.org/hose_specialty.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    Question for our esteemed traditionalists. Would you consider these hose appropriate for formal wear (black argyle with silver buttons)? Specifically, the Eildon pattern.

http://giftshop.scottishtartans.org/hose_specialty.htm
    Sure. Considering that the event must not be too formal ( black argyll jacket ), you could wear the Eildon hose. That being said, the claret coloured pair look the best for evening wear.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    Sure. Considering that the event must not be too formal ( black argyll jacket ), you could wear the Eildon hose. That being said, the claret coloured pair look the best for evening wear.
    I will go along with that too.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    I'm not a staunch traditionalist--by anyone's definition--but I agree.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really like these hose, but personally find them a tad "interesting" (!) for a black tie function. So, as others have said, depends on the level of formality...

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to disagree with Sandy or Jock, but I do have a slightly different opinion.

In my sock bin I have solid color hose, full diced and argyle, and many different "fancy top" hose, including those from the STM's "specialty hose" line you linked to, and those knit by my wife.

Of course I tend to favor the full diced or argyle hose for formal wear, but before I acquired those I tended to wear solid hose for formal events.

The hose with a solid leg and patterned cuff I tend to think of as more appropriate for daywear than eveningwear.

However, as I said, this is my personal preference. I have seen many show off their pattered cuff hose for formal events and look quite nice. It would also, I think, depend somewhat on the pattern and colors involved.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After I posted the above I remembered this photo.

I wouldn't consider the outfit "formal wear" but it does show a patterned cuff hose worn with a black Argyle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose for formal wear

I respectfully disagree with my fellow Xers in regards to what hose should be worn with formal. I have been wearing highland attire for nearly forty years and I have seen all kinds of combinations.

It is my humble opinion that the proper hose should be either correctly colored diced or full argyle. I have the same reaction when I see a gentleman wearing white hose with formal as I do when I hear someone draw their fingernails across a blackboard. There was a time when it was very difficult to obtain either diced or argyle and when you could find them you almost had to pay a clan chiefs ransom.

That not being the case anymore, there is no reason why these hose should not be purchased. I'll go one further (it is a bit off subject), ghillie brogues are not for formal either. Why do you think they are called ghillies. I believe that in order to properly attired for fromal, buckle brogues should be worn.

I hope that my opinions do not cause any offense to my friends on X.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit, I am still trying to understand what difference the style of hose makes for the outfit. I understand the jacket combinations (or at least believe I understand it somewhat) and how they relate to a particular "dress code". But for the life of me I can not see why full diced or argyle hose are to be viewed as "more formal" than those shown in the link by the OP.

I stand by for the "that's just how it's done" comment...if that is it, I can live with that too.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Tartan View Post
    I have to admit, I am still trying to understand what difference the style of hose makes for the outfit. I understand the jacket combinations (or at least believe I understand it somewhat) and how they relate to a particular "dress code". But for the life of me I can not see why full diced or argyle hose are to be viewed as "more formal" than those shown in the link by the OP.

I stand by for the "that's just how it's done" comment...if that is it, I can live with that too.
    I am not really sure that there is a sensible and reliable answer to your quandary, although there may be a reason connected to the military that has been lost in the mists of time.

I wouldn't over think this, but I think that all you really need to know is, as you say "that's just how it's done" and just go with the added idea that they are very different from the norm and some are even more different!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast