X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with Great Highlandwear

I saw a posting a while back asking about information concerning S. Ahmed and the website Great Highlandwear.com. I had heard good things, along with some questionable things. Last September I ordered a doublet from them at a price that would be near wholesale, $227. To date, I have been promised delivery 3 times, though nothing ever materialized. No doublet, and no money was refunded.

I offer this information to save the unsuspecting shopper time and trouble from what looks like a well put together website. The last email I got from S. Ahmed was in early January, and though I have emailed the firm repeatedly asking for either the product or a refund, they have offered no response. They stopped responding completely. The lesson here is simple: Only deal with reputable dealers with a verifiable background. I took a chance and lost. If you pay by PayPal (which I would recommend) you have 45 days to file a claim if you have not received your product. My hope is that this may save someone from dealing with those that would happily just take your money and say good-bye. I also hope this answers your question about Great Highlandwear.com.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand the temptation to order from that firm but experience has taught me to be reluctant to jump on an uber-low price and leery of dealing with sellers who are far, far away.

There are so many sellers associated with this forum who provide excellent goods and act responsibly. Dealing with them takes the worry out of things.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their logo says "We can do better!".

From what I have heard, they never have!

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an equally dissatisfying experience last year with them when I ordered a pair of bonnets from them ( a test size order to check their product and business efficiency, plus they were inexpensive) and after 44 days and multiple emails without satisfactory reply posted a Paypal complaint/request for refund for non-delivery of goods (they had said 2-3 week delivery time). Paypal weighed in my favor and refunded my complete charge. A week later I recieved three emails over 5 days from Mr Ahmed stating initially that they could not complete my order because my Paypal had revoked the charge, then trying to persuade me to "re-order" the bonnets which miraculously had come into stock during that very week. Yeah right. Not likely to see my business again regardless of price or quality of goods.

j

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Things that are "too good to be true" usually are.

As Ron says, "of price, quality and service, you can have two". In some cases when dealing with companies from Pakistan, you only get 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    Things that are "too good to be true" usually are.

As Ron says, "of price, quality and service, you can have two". In some cases when dealing with companies from Pakistan, you only get 1.
    I think some Pakistani firms are worth working with. I bought an argyll jacket from M.H. Geoffrey & Company who advertise on EBay quite frequently. After seeing 2 positive reviews I placed an order. I had a formal event to attend and a more expensive option was simply not in the budget. This company is in Sialkot Pakistan. My understanding is that this city is close to the Indian border and at one time there was British garrison there and number of Scot troops, which is how they got in the business since the early 1900s. Given the price I paid and the quality of the jacket I believe it was a good value. Certainly I would not compare it to a high end jacket but all in all I was pleased. I can also say delivery time and communication were both very good. So I received a fair value with very comparable quality and good service.

I would not count out all Pakistani firms. Which is not to say don't fail to do your homework, solicit the opinions of others, examine their track record etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As best I can remember, this is the third time there has been a thread like this. Mr. Ahmed and Greathighlandwear.com seem incapable of telling the truth. Search for them here and you'll find reviews, my own included.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lure of Great Highlandwear.com

It is true that business closer to home are best, and usually more reliable, every once and a while you find a gem that offers a great product at a great price. Unfortunately, you also run the risk of running into another Great Highlalndwear that is only out to make promises and take your money.

I have to agree with piperdbh, "Mr. Ahmed and Greathighlandwear.com seem incapable of telling the truth."
    Chas mentioned their logo that states "We can do better!"
    The would be true. When you are doing NOTHING ...ANYTHING would be better. They are setting a low bar with that motto. I wish I had given it more thought.

I had noticed that the original thread had closed, which is why I wanted to open this again. S. Ahmed and his Great Highlalndwear are doing nothing less than promising you everything and then taking your money...you get NOTHING!

I have to admit, i am a sucker for a well put together website. Why would anyone go to all the trouble to put up a beautiful website...just to rip people off??? Oh...wait...a bell just went off! Don't let it happen to you. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Highland crooks

I ordered a jacket in February this year. It is July now and I still haven't received anything. I already have sent several e-mails to ask where it was and when they started trying to keep me busy I demanded a refund- several times. I also have sent a complaint to PayPal after they annulated my request for payment.
    Conclusion: Great Highlandwear are criminals (unless they can prove they're not). Do NOT do any business with them!

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanachie View Post
    I think some Pakistani firms are worth working with. I bought an argyll jacket from M.H. Geoffrey & Company who advertise on EBay quite frequently. After seeing 2 positive reviews I placed an order. I had a formal event to attend and a more expensive option was simply not in the budget. This company is in Sialkot Pakistan. My understanding is that this city is close to the Indian border and at one time there was British garrison there and number of Scot troops, which is how they got in the business since the early 1900s. Given the price I paid and the quality of the jacket I believe it was a good value. Certainly I would not compare it to a high end jacket but all in all I was pleased. I can also say delivery time and communication were both very good. So I received a fair value with very comparable quality and good service.

I would not count out all Pakistani firms. Which is not to say don't fail to do your homework, solicit the opinions of others, examine their track record etc.
    Sorry I'm just responding to this now as I just read it (only 5 months later... )

I carefully chose my words above... things that are too good to be true usually are.

The issue with doing 'homework' on Pakistani Kilt companies is that they are (virtually or actually?) all in Sialkot, Pakistan. Makes it tough to differentiate. Your history (as you stated it above) of the Pakistani town is correct. I also heard that from a bagpiper and US Marine (he's 70 years old now) who marched through that town 30 years ago. He was shocked to see the kilts and bagpipe related products in shops throughout the town.

Speaking with a friend of mine who is a Pakistani Kilt Retailer (and very well known, though I'll leave his company name out of this post), he gave me the 'low down' on Pakistani kilt companies. He told me that many are just 'guys with a website in an internet cafe'. They receive an order and shop it around to the 5 or 6 MAIN MANUFACTURERS there (who are also retailers in their own right) and get the best price for the job and then have it made. Nothing wrong with that business model... if they end up shipping the product to the customer.

The issues are: 1. With companies that have poor manufacturing (and since many orders are 'shopped around', you don't know what kind of manufacturing you'll get) 2. Dishonest people who never ship your order 3. Companies that are dishonest, go out of business, change their name, put up a new site and presto... instant new credibility / new store.

ARE there reputable Pakistani companies to deal with? I'm sure there are. If I knew nothing about the country / industry / manufacturing of the product I was going to buy, what advice would I heed? "If it's too good to be true, it usually is".

There are many US (and UK for our Scottish brethren) companies that retail Pakistani kilt products. If you're determined to go down the "low price point" route, why not use one of THOSE companies where you know what you're getting and have some kind of recourse (living in the same country has MUCH better legal implications) if things go south? That being said... do your homework on THOSE companies as well. Some of them aren't as reputable as others. Just use the 'search' function on Xmarks and you're bound to get an education. If no threads hit, just ask the question!

Just my $.02. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by RockyR; 23rd July 11 at 05:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast