X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does the front of your kilt supposed to lay?

I'm wondering if my kilt fits correctly. The front of my kilt seems to line up properly with my "gig" line of my shirt, but there seems to be a gap between the flap and the pleats on the right side.

Is there supposed to be a gap between the open edge of the kilt and the pleats? I have noticed that the left side fits quite nicely because the pleats start right off of this side of the kilt. But on the right side there is a large space of 3"-4" between the flap and the pleats themselves. Mind you this is a second hand kilt was not fitted to me.

I hope my question makes sense to you guys!
    Last edited by Sharkman; 24th February 11 at 11:37 PM. Reason: can't spell!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure that I read you right, but as I understand it your front apron does not reach last pleat, but the under apron reaches over to the first pleat. But how do the straps fit? Do you have problems to fasten the straps on the right side?
    It would be easier to see what the problem is if you could post a picture.
    [U]Oddern[/U]
    Kilted Norwegian
    [URL="http://www.kilt.no"]www.kilt.no[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.tartan.no"]www.tartan.no[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.no/people/Oddern-Norse/100000438724036"]Facebook[/URL]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If what you are describing is that the right edge of the outer apron does not align with the right edge of the under apron then you do indeed have a bit of a problem.

If the kilt were exactly the correct size the outer and inner apron edges would align perfectly.

If the outer apron leaves 3 to 4 inches of under apron showing then that is the amount in inches that the kilt is too small.

If the kilt is one where the inside of the pleats are cut away under the part of the kilt that is tapered and sewn down, (known as the Fell) then there is only a small chance that a kiltmaker would have enough material to re-build the kilt enlarging the size by this much. It would also be almost as expensive to have done as to make a new kilt from scratch.

You can of course live with it. Yes, it is too small, but no one other than a kilt junkie like we have here would probably notice. I see many kilts being worn that are heirlooms from a smaller relative or where the owner has gained some weight.

If the straps fit you then it is possible that they have been moved to accomodate a growing waistline before you got the kilt. This just goes to prove that the world will not end because you wear a kilt that is 3 or 4 inches too small.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help.

It seems that the top apron is about 3"-4" inches from the first pleats on the right side of the kilt, leaving an open area of kilt showing with no pleats. the aprons themselves seem to fit me pretty well other than that issue.

Being new to this stuff I am a little concerned, but not overly, if you know what I mean. I like the material although it is a light weight and I'm guessing it is a wool blend by the looks of it.

It just doesn't look quite right even to a newbie like me. I'll try to get some pics of it posted and you can tell me then.

The buckles line up on my sides alright and I even added a couple of holes in the leather to make it fit me better.
    Last edited by Sharkman; 25th February 11 at 12:08 AM. Reason: more info!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharkman,

Is the part without pleats that is showning the right edge of the under apron?

If so the kilt is too small.

The two aprons should be the same size and about the same shape. The outer apron should lay perfectly on top of the under apron.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Born in Glasgow, Scotland currently S.Yorkshire England UK and part time Gambia W Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most kilts have around 2" room for expansion (or in my case shrinkage of the kilt {honest}). You can purchase extension straps if you have expanded beyond the 2" allowed for (or your kilt has shrunk by more than 2"). Any expansion (or shrinkage) will make the apron move from its intended position from when it was made so will change the look. I have suffered from this problem but cannot afford a new kilt so I still wear mine with pride ...... Don't worry about it; at least you still wear it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wizard of BC,

That's exactly what I have going on. It is noticeable but not too bad. I guess for now I'll live with it, but I recently bought a Stillwater Thrifty Kilt and I'll see how that is going to work out.

Eventually I'm going to have one made that fits me right!! lol !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics would serve a great deal!
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a kilt, or an inexpensive "kilt-like" garment?

If its off the rack/peg don't think you can expect too much -

You can have any two of price, quality, or service.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Is it a kilt, or an inexpensive "kilt-like" garment?

If its off the rack/peg don't think you can expect too much -

You can have any two of price, quality, or service.
    IMHO that would not be a "kilt-like garment", but merely a cheap kilt.

You do raise a good point, though. If it is sized S, M, L, XL, for example (ETA: a Thrifty Kilt is a perfect example), then this issue will likely occur at the upper end of the range that the particular size will fit. Unless your other clothes are all made to measure by your tailor I wouldn't feel bad about it, personally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast