X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose and socks and shoe sizes

Hi peoples. Sorry for my absence of late. I am busy trying to find work and organise my weddings.

I just have a quick question. I am about to buy my shoes for the wedding but just had a question. I have found that I am a size UK 8.5 with business socks on but I didn't have a pair of hose on my when I tried the shoes. They fit snug and perfect with socks but I imagine too tight with hose.

My question is how do you balance your shoes to be both business and kilt shoes?

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only way I've found is a pair of short heavy black socks for business use. Or wear the kilt for business!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rtc872 View Post
    Hi peoples. Sorry for my absence of late. I am busy trying to find work and organise my weddings.I just have a quick question. I am about to buy my shoes for the wedding but just had a question. I have found that I am a size UK 8.5 with business socks on but I didn't have a pair of hose on my when I tried the shoes. They fit snug and perfect with socks but I imagine too tight with hose.

My question is how do you balance your shoes to be both business and kilt shoes?

Cheers
    Frankly, I don't. For the equivalent of a semi-semi-formal thing, like a wedding, I wear ghillie brogues. If I'm dressing casual kilt with a tie and jacket, then I don't wear the brogues or oxfords that I wear for the office with my kilt - I have sketchers and Rockports for the kilt, then. But, not everone does what I do.

Are these weddings to the same bride or different ones? (Don't get caught.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear the same shoes with kilt hose as I do with dress socks. The shoes do fit a little more snugly with kilt hose, but not to the point of being uncomfortable. If you have another pair of shoes that fit the same way as the pair that you are considering for your wedding, try them with kilt hose for a comparison.

Whatever you buy, do not save the shoes for your wedding. Wear them, even if only around the house, to get them broken in; all shoes will loosen up a bit and soften up after a bit a wear, and you want then to bend a bit with your foot when you walk. I was once on vacation with a friend who bought a new pair of walking shoes and saved them to wear while on vacation; after two days, the blister on her heel made it difficult to even wear shoes!
    Last edited by Lyle1; 4th March 11 at 07:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I try the shoes on I wear the same white socks that I wear with my tennis shoes. They are not as thick as hose and not as thin as my business socks. I wear a suit 3 to 4 times a week. And I wear the same shoes that I wear with my kilt and thick hand knit hose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm lucky in a wierd way. My shoe size is between 10.5 and 11 US. Since they do not make a 10.75, I can wear 11's interchangably between hose and socks.
    T

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle1 View Post

Whatever you buy, do not save the shoes for your wedding. Wear them, even if only around the house, to get them broken in; all shoes will loosen up a bit and soften up after a bit a wear, and you want then to bend a bit with your foot when you walk...
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/n...reply&p=959556

Very important advice!

Furthermore, if there will be dancing---I recommend a thorough break-in, followed by some wear out of the house to scuff the sole lightly. You don't want them to be too slick when you hit the dance floor, as I discovered once upon a time! I had broken in a new pair of shoes indoors, but the rugs preserved the soles in almost pristine (very slippery) condition when I went to a cousin's wedding reception.
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice! Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
    Frankly, I don't. For the equivalent of a semi-semi-formal thing, like a wedding, I wear ghillie brogues. If I'm dressing casual kilt with a tie and jacket, then I don't wear the brogues or oxfords that I wear for the office with my kilt - I have sketchers and Rockports for the kilt, then. But, not everone does what I do.

Are these weddings to the same bride or different ones? (Don't get caught.)
    To the same bride. We are having one in Japan and one here in Australia. I am looking forward to when it is all over.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rtc872 View Post

I don't. I have a pair of black full brogues that are a UK 10G that fit well with kilt hose or heavier cotton/wool socks. These have rubber inserts in the leather soles which come in handy when walking around outside. I don't wear full brogues for business dress as I've always thought them too casual to wear with a suit. I wear US 10.5C cap toes to the office.

If you need to use one pair of shoes double-duty, I suggest a pair of thin insoles to be worn with dress socks. You can then remove these when wearing heavier socks/kilt hose. They should allow the shoes to fit well with either choice of sock.

Best of Luck,

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast