X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How makes a good quality Light Weight Kilt

I have looked at quite a few kilt makers including those who advertise here. So I'm asking for input from all of you about who has a good quality lighter weight kilt.

I live in So. California and I don't think a "Tank" is what I'm looking for. But I have seen several lighter weight kilts that are possible candidates for what I'm looking for. Of course, another consideration for me is price too.

I would love to have a ton of money to throw around but the reality is I don't, so I'm looking for something more within my means.

I know that all of you have some good ideas and I'm waiting to hear them.
    Last edited by Sharkman; 26th February 11 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Terrible Grammer!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman View Post
    I have looked at quite a few kilt makers including those who advertise here. So I'm asking for input from all of you about who has a good quality lighter weight kilt.

I live in So. California and I don't think a "Tank" is what I'm looking for. But I have seen several lighter weight kilts that a possible candidates for what I'm looking for. Of course another consideration is for me is price too.

I would love to have a ton of money to throw around but the reality is I don't, so I'm looking for something more within my means.

I know that all of you have some good ideas and I'm waiting to hear them.
    If it's too hot and too expensive, consider a box-pleated kilt which is both cheaper and cooler, but you could still have it made in the heavier weight cloth which hangs and "swishes" better. ... and bonus, it's a little more unusual, and therefore interesting, while non-kilt-experts are unlikely to notice the difference.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you could do well very with a PV semi-trad kilt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, a Powegian! Used to live in Ramona back in '72.

I second the motion for a Polyviscose kilt, made-to-measure by an experienced kiltmaker like Rocky and Kelly at USA Kilts.

I've also worn 16 ounce wool in Sandy Eggo County with no problem in the winter.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you choose to stick with a wool kilt, I highly recommend that you go no lighter than 13oz. Anything lighter is too wispy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indoors or outdoors? Outfit or casual?
    For the seasons other than winter in your local I’d recommend a Celtic Croft Economy for cool, a USAK Casual for middle, and a Sport Kilt Hiking for warm.
    [FONT="Georgia"][B][I]-- Larry B.[/I][/B][/FONT]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I continue to disagree. I have a fine 8 yard hand sewn kilt made from 11 ounce wool and it is not too light, it is not too whispy, it is a fine tank that anyone would be hard pressed to tell its made form 11 ounce wool.

But for sure be certain you have a skilled kiltmaker that you're dealing with direct.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice folks!

Riverkilt,

I've looked at the USA Kilts a few times and the Semi-Trad is about what I could really afford for now, possibly even the 5-yard wool. But I'm not that sure about the wool for around here.

Is the kilt you are wearing in the pictures you posted the 11 oz. Semi-Trad? If so it looks fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    And I continue to disagree. I have a fine 8 yard hand sewn kilt made from 11 ounce wool and it is not too light, it is not too whispy, it is a fine tank that anyone would be hard pressed to tell its made form 11 ounce wool.
    But for sure be certain you have a skilled kiltmaker that you're dealing with direct.
    I have a great kilt in 11 oz, which I don't wear anymore because I think it's too light. It doesn't take much wind to fly. I can't speak about pleating since this GK requires temporary hand-pleating. Do the pleats in your kilt keep?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's 11 ounce Lochcarron wool, 8 yard hand sewn by Kathy Lare.

No clue what the weight of the PV's from Rocky are. Can tell you I've purchased 25 PV kilts from Rocky. Prefer the semi-trad for the looks and comfort. Do own a bunch of casuals for hot humid weather - like trips to Quintana Roo, Maui, and the Monsoon season in Arizona.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast