X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackerDrummer View Post
    Todd, I consider this statement to be beneath your usual level of input, but perhaps you did not intend it to be as snide as I have taken it. I am not suggesting that he is wrong or that he has not done due diligence. I am merely suggesting that the bases for his claims are not clear.
    Oh dear...I've done it again in this thread. No, I wasn't meaning to be snide in my remarks, but I can see how you could take it that way. My apologies. I have deleted my comments.

I'll keep quiet from now on.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have said already.. You boys (or more correctly Men) have been an answer to prayer. I know I have asked some dumb questions and even some that have caused some disagreements. I truly do appreciate all this info. I have a massive list of maiden names for our family tree on that side of the family. Is there a website that I can see surnames that are connected to which clans?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LassieNorquay View Post
    ... I have asked some dumb questions ...
    No Madam. the only dumb question is the one unasked.

As for disagreements, that's just part of the welcome I suppose. You did not cause them. They appear to preexist and we seem to take any opportunity to express them. We maybe create them from time to time, but the spirit is rarely confrontational. There is nothing wrong with a gentlemanly disagreement so long as the participants themselves are respectful of one another.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LassieNorquay, I hope you don’t start feeling that your husband is not entitled to wear the kilt.
    As has been said, Orkney and Zetland (as the islanders call it) are much more Norwegian than Scottish, but they have been under Scottish rule since the 15th century.
    The Sinclair earls of Orkney are not, as far as I am aware, of Norman ancestry. Their ancestors landed on Scottish soil as Templar refugees from the French suppression of their order.
    But this does not make them any less Scottish – any number of Scottish noble families have their origins outside Scotland, and through centuries of intermarriage with their clanspeople, there are certainly blood connections between them and the people of the land.
    There have been Scots of Norwegian descent since the first generation born after the original Viking raids on the Hebrides.
    The Isle of Man was at one time the base of a Viking king who also ruled (parts of) the Hebrides. He was styled the King of Sodor and Man, and to this day the full title of the bishop based in Douglas, Isle of Man, is Bishop of Sodor and Man.
    You may have come across Thomas the Tank Engine and other books written by the Rev W Awdry and his son Christopher.
    In the omnibus book of Thomas the Tank Engine stories there is a map showing the fictional country where Thomas and the other locomotives of the stories operate, an island in the Irish Sea called Sodor.
    The island does not exist, but Mr Awdry, as a Church of England clergyman, clearly took its name from the title of the bishop in Douglas.
    It is a rather clever ecclesiastical joke.
    Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike_Oettle; 13th March 11 at 10:52 AM.
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LassieNorquay View Post
    I have a massive list of maiden names for our family tree on that side of the family. Is there a website that I can see surnames that are connected to which clans?
    The first placed I looked was on the clan tartan page at Loch Carron mill, in the strome line. The server there has been down this weekend apparently, but this is the link:

http://www.lochcarron.com/stromesw.htm

The Scottish Tartan Authority (STA) maintains a substantial online database here:

http://www.tartansauthority.com/tartan-ferret

And the Scottish Tartan Registry (STR) here:

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/

Search results for Muir on STR:

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/qRe...rchString=muir

In all fairness I should point out I was joshing about white hose. The good thing about white kilt hose is they go with any tartan, the bad news is the rental shops tend to put everyone in white hose because it is not at all risky. It allows them to minimize their inventory and maximize their profit. While any number of other colored hose might work with a specific tartan, the general public is used to seeing white to the point many of us here make a point to not own any white hose at all.

Also, that a maiden name has a registered tartan does not by itself mean your uncle was descended from that clan. I suspect the man did due diligence before plunking down for wool kilts in clan tartans, but I don't know that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search results for Reid on STR:

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/qRe...rchString=Reid

Wow, Budge hit on STR, I dinna read the background:

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/qRe...chString=Budge

And Wishart hit too:

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/qRe...String=Wishart

Do the other two wool kilts look anything like these?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am adding the two other kilts.. I will add them to the photo album on photobucket.. I will repost the link.. I will letter them Kilt Y and Kilt Z. They do not look like the links above....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok they have been added to the photo album. They are at the end and lettered X & Z here is the link...
    http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...%20Kollection/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way Kilt B is from Highlander by Lochcarron made in Scotland with custom measurements sewn into it. I as told it was Kincardine I believe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y looks like MacLeod and Z looks like MacKenzie, but the images are pretty dark. Can you provide brighter images or check them yourself against the tartans on www.tartanregister.gov.uk

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast