For those of you who are looking for a how-to manual on how to make and carve an historically-correct 18th c. Highland dirk handle and scabbard (assuming you already have a blade), try the new publication, Carving Scottish Dirks, by Vince and Grace Evans at http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/carvi...to-cd/12445072 .

Lulu.com is a site that permits authors to self-publish, and the books are apparently printed as they are ordered. The Evans' instruction manual comes either as a 36 page book (184 color photos on glossy paper @ $34.95) or as a photo CD (opens on either PCs or Macs) with 243 color photos @ $19.95. There isn't much text, but the photos are very clear and make the construction steps self-explanatory. I got both the book and the photo CD (donating the later to my 1745 reenacting group's library). IMHO, these publications are well worth the money. Lulu.com's service is good - delivery took about a week, and the items were well-packaged.

Those of you that are familiar with the Evans' dirks know that they are high-quality, historically accurate pieces as to style and detail, and quite expensive. I'd rate them right up there with Glenn McClain's dirks. I've seen a couple Evans dirks and they are to die for. According to their Lulu comment, their on-line dirk tutorial got so many hits that they decided to publish the dirk tutorial. Will their on-line basket-hilt tutorial follow? Chan eil fhios agam. Tha mi an dochas! (I don't know. I'm hoping!)