X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charleston SC & Savannah GA

I didn’t know where to post this but since we’ll be in Charleston SC first, I’ll start with South Carolina.

We’ll be in the Charleston, Beaufort, and Savannah area the first couple of weeks in May, then the remainder of May and some of June in North Carolina and Virginia. The North Carolina and Virginia part of the trip isn’t planned yet. We’ll most likely spend most of our time along the coastal areas, with some time along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

My first question is do any of the XMarkers want to try to get together for a drink or two or ...? Unfortunately, we’ll be in Charleston the week of the Savannah highland games. Secondly, can anyone familiar with these areas recommend sights to see that may not be well known to tourists? We’ve never traveled in the southeastern part of the United States.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you hit Tommy Condon's in Charleston when Steve Carrol and the Bograts are playing. They are worth the trip. Charles Towne Landing in Charleston is an overlooked jewel as well. Enjoy!
    "You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi Wan Kenobi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can fit it in or have the opportunity, do a Charleston Ghost Walk guided tour. You'll see some amazing stuff and have a great time. Then finish the night for a spell at Tommy Condons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The great thing about Savannah is that the downtown area is a virtual walking tour through history and culture. Taking any of the tours might make for a pleasant overview of the city and then striking out on your own to explore a little deeper is a great idea. Because Savannah itself is not a large place, there aren't necessarily any places where tourists won't be found. That's OK. It's worth seeing! The historic Bonaventure Cemetery, the museums, the squares...you're going to have a great time.

And then, of course, there's Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pub on Congress Street downtown.

About 30 miles south is Liberty County, where I live. It's home to Fort Morris, a Revolutionary War fort, and the Dorchester Academy, which was started as a school for freed slaves and from which Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. did some of the planning for the Birmingham march. Liberty County was also home to one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, Button Gwinnett.

And you're only 8 miles south of Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pub in Richmond Hill.

Depending on the kinds of things you like to see and do, I'm sure you're going to enjoy Savannah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought or two for Savannah,
    Wormsloe Plantation, particularly the long drive down the oak-lined avenue, is as beautiful as the low country gets and it's rarely crowded.
    If you're interested in things military, (or just a beautifully preserved bit of 19th century engineering and architecture) drive out toward the beach and visit Fort Pulaski.
    And speaking of Savannah's closest beach, Tybee Island is a bit of a throwback... not yet overdeveloped, funky and very, very laidback. They live on what the locals call "Tybee time."
    And a second, (or third or fourth!) for Coinneach's recommendations for Molly MacPherson's. Give a post here or in the Georgia sub-forum closer to the day you're in town, and who knows, you might scare up a companion or two for a round at Molly's. The one downtown is in the midst of the Historic District.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the history buff, even though they are a bit well known.... the DAR Cemetery Downtown and Bonaventure off Skidaway Road in Savannah. Just be kind/careful of the surroundings (some of us actually do have family in both.) But, I can honestly say, in my 12 years living in Savannah, wandering the memorials in Bonaventure in my high school days kept me sane (or at least a reasonable facsimile).

And check out Papa's Bar-B-Que and Seafood on Whitemarsh Island. They have one of the best shrimp salad sandwiches I've had in forever. Simple and to the point, good gumbo, and great crab soup. (From Savannah take Victory Drive toward Tybee, and turn into the shopping center at the second light after the tall bridge over the Wilmington River).

Go to the Telfair Museum of Art. They hold Black Prince of Crécy by Julian Story, which should not be missed if you are in Savannah.
    Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions. There’s nothing like local knowledge for finding the best places to eat and drink. It appears that Tommy Condon’s and Molly Mac Pherson’s are universally well liked and I’ll plan on visiting both.

I’ve always loved 19-century American history, and I’m looking forward to seeing many of the areas that are so prominent in that history.

As we get closer to the time of our trip, I’ll post in all four states that we’ll visit.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're planning to cruise the Parkway, you'll be near me and Tartan Hiker. I'd be glad to show you around McDowell County, and Tartan Hiker could probably get a few folks together for a pint or two in Asheville.
    Keep us posted.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gordon
    I would go and see at least one of the Plantations. My recomendation is Middleton Place. My wife and i were married there, and is a beautiful , historical, and educational part of Charleston. Food, lets face it you will need to eat. Some of the best food in charleston is Downtown. Jestine kitchen , Homeny Grill, Crue Cafe and if your in the West Ashely area and want good local southern food, go get a bite at Glass Onion on Hwy 17( savannah hwy) If your looking for an Irish Pub to get a good pint that isnt full of tourists. Than head up to North Charleston to Park Circle and go to Madra Rua. Tommy Condons is ok ( i am not a fan) the music is the best part. Madra Rua is more of what i am used to in a Irish Pub. If i am available i would meet you for a pint ( not sure my schedule that far in advance) Let me know if i can be of more help.