X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The translation I have is "A little by degrees", a slight pun on my two academic degrees.

The crest is symbolic of my area of study -- military history. Being a bit of a self-appointed vexillologist, I have always admired the famed "Bedford Flag", the oldest known complete flag in American history. Given it's military origins, I thought the armoured arm holding a book (instead of a sword) would be a very fitting way to depict a military historian. I had also thought about the motto, "By pen and sword", but since neither are featured on my arms, I rejected that.

The acorns symbolize my ten years in the National Park Service, and the garb my membership in the Clan Cumming. The unicorn can be found on a number of arms for Wilkinsons, and the design of the shield is based on the old Rhodesian arms.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Todd - my translation was a good distance off the mark ("moderate to increase little"). I'll readily admit that any Latin translation I come up with is based more on Portuguese than any actual Latin education.

And I couldn't think of a more fitting crest. Thanks again!

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how this one slipped past me, Todd. I like it very much – but with the reservation that the garb really ought to be on a pale, perhaps green. I think the Bureau would insist on that.
    The motto, now that I see it translated, reminds me of a limerick I came across years ago:

A maiden at college, Miss Keyes,
    Weighted down with BA’s and Lit D’s,
    Collapsed from the strain;
    Said her doctor: “It’s plain
    You're killing yourself by degrees!”

Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike_Oettle; 1st August 12 at 09:38 AM.
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Oettle View Post
    I like it very much – but with the reservation that the garb really ought to be on a pale, perhaps green. I think the Bureau would insist on that.
    I'm curious to know if that proves to be the case, Mike. In 2008, the BoH registered arms with two Cape pheasants on a white field in which their own illustration shows the birds very light-colored. I understand your concern that the wheat is naturally in its appearance similar to gold, but given that the acorns are brown with green leaves, there is little doubt that the three items on the chief are all "proper". Now if the acorns were a "colour" I could understand the argument that the garb were a "metal" but I don't see it that way as it stands. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Kenneth Mansfield
    NON OBLIVISCAR
    My tartan quilt: Austin, Campbell, Hamilton, MacBean, MacFarlane, MacLean, MacRae, Robertson, Sinclair (and counting)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    The translation I have is "A little by degrees", a slight pun on my two academic degrees.

The crest is symbolic of my area of study -- military history. Being a bit of a self-appointed vexillologist, I have always admired the famed "Bedford Flag", the oldest known complete flag in American history. Given it's military origins, I thought the armoured arm holding a book (instead of a sword) would be a very fitting way to depict a military historian. I had also thought about the motto, "By pen and sword", but since neither are featured on my arms, I rejected that.

The acorns symbolize my ten years in the National Park Service, and the garb my membership in the Clan Cumming. The unicorn can be found on a number of arms for Wilkinsons, and the design of the shield is based on the old Rhodesian arms.

T.
    Well done, Todd! Your assumed armorial bearings look quite smart (and very pertinent to your achievements and genealogy, I must add) indeed. Nice and simple in design, without cluttering the escutcheon with too many charges.

Congratulations,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 1st August 12 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. It looks great.
    [I]From my tribe I take nothing, I am the maker of my own fortune.[/I]-[B]Tecumseh[/B]
    [LEFT][B]FSA Scot
    North Carolina Commissioner for Clan Cochrane
    Sons of the American Revolution[/B][/LEFT]

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526