I'm working on putting together a rather special outfit that delves deeper in tartan territory than I have thus far dared to tread...

I picked up this kilt and matching vest off eBay a while ago but have yet to wear them together in public. They also came with a matching four-in-hand tie, all in the MacQuarrie Modern tartan. Then davidlpope kindly sent me the green and red diced hose to make, as he put it, a "vibrant" look with the MacQuarrie kilt.

On another thread where I asked people to help me with formality, there was some discussion about this kilt and waistcoat combo but it was left incomplete. And that was before davidlpope's generous donation!

Given that the vest is cut rather high and I don't have a doublet of any sort, in what ways could I best finish this outfit? Here's what I've got:

Tie: four-in-hand (tartan, solid colour, or striped), black bow, or white stock?

Shirt: tattersal or solid colour; white, smooth front (hidden buttons), wing collar; or white, pleated front, fold-down collar?

Shoes: brogues or cap-toe oxfords (both black)?

Sporran: studded leather hunting-style; three tassel, metal cantle with fur, or metal cantle with horsehair?

Here is a picture of the parts I've already selected. As the rabble chimes in, I'll see about posting pics of how their suggestions would look.