X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outfitting a pipe band

So our fledgling band is at the point where we need to start uniform shopping. Those of you in pipe bands, do you have any particular recommendations for vendors? If not specific names, then are there any criteria I should be looking for in a vendor?
    What sort of turn around time did your band have?
    Any thoughts on band / bulk discounts?

Thanks in advance!!

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've been able to glean from discussions about our uniform, the Louisville Pipe Band originally ordered their kilts, headgear, flashes and waistcoats/vests through J Higgins (with some help from Clan Henderson*). I think we got our latest batch of kilt hose (white "piper's hose") through The Scotland Yard - our "local" outfitters. Our sporrans (black hunting with chrome cantles) we got a couple of years back, I believe through The Piper's Hut/Jon Maffett. We got our custom ties (black with gold lettering "Louisville Pipe Band" and fleur-de-lis - a symbol of Louisville) through another, unknown, source. If you shop around a little and talk to the shops, you may be able to work a deal, depending on how many items you order.

Shoes (black, any style, preferably ghillies), shirts (white, button-down Oxford cloth, l/s or s/s depending on the weather), jackets (black Argyle, any style cuff, single-button preferred) and other accessories are up to the individual.

We all play McCallum Mk2 chanters, but I don't know the source (probably also The Piper's Hut/Jon Maffett). We play Warnock broad reeds, also source unknown. We also have matching drone cords (black) and bag covers (black with zipper along the bottom, silver braid trim and Dycem patches), source unknown. (I don't do the ordering or pay the bills.) Drones, drone reeds, bags, moisture control, etc. are individual choice. I also know nothing about the drums played by the band. (Last year we got a new bass and new tenors).

I have no idea what the turnaround times were for most of the original orders. The hose we got within about a month. The sporrans took about a month of negotiations, once we decided which look we wanted.

Good luck!

* The band wears Ancient Henderson in honor of Col. Richard Henderson, who sponsored Daniel Boone's explorations of Kentucky. Clan Henderson was honored that the band chose their tartan and agreed to help in the initial outfitting of the band. In reciprocity, the band plays for Clan Henderson when we're asked to - if we're at the same Games (and we usually get an honorarium). We also have a blue toorie and flashes to coordinate with the blue stripe in the Ancient Henderson tartan.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outfitting a pipe band

A new Highland Outfitter, Reid Kilts turns out fantastic kilts at very reasonable prices. You might contact him about a band order, and maybe get a price break. I couldn't tell you what the turnaroud time might be. Peter Reid is great to deal with and I'm sure he'll do the best he can for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good ploy is to find out the manufacfurer (sometimes not easy) and ask if they are willing to supply a bulk order at trade rates.By-passing the retailer's mark-up means they have enough margin to negotiate...

Glasgow Man is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there!

I have just joined the forum after being alerted to it by a friend!
    I know quite a few people in the Kilt business as i have done a lot of shopping with them and you always get to know them well!

Mr Reid from Reid Kilts is a new retailer but I have known him for a number of years and he has been in the business for quite a while.
    I know for a fact he has had experience with pipe bands and as Chukta says, im sure he would be more than willing to offer you deals.

PM me if you want me to put you in touch with him as i dont think he is a sponsor on this site.

Good luck with the shopping!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you are committed to a tartan but my pipeband chose a rare tartan. That makes it very expensive for a new band member to buy a kilt. I suggest picking a tartan that you can get from USAKilts maybe their casual kilt option. It get costly when you have to get $80 chanter a $900 set of pipes a $400 kilt a $400 doublet $40 hose $50 spats $200 sporran and on and on. It's nice to have a option to get a sharp looking kilt that only costs $99 so you can enjoy the marches and events. Thats just one guys suggestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowher View Post
    I don't know if you are committed to a tartan but my pipeband chose a rare tartan. That makes it very expensive for a new band member to buy a kilt. I suggest picking a tartan that you can get from USAKilts maybe their casual kilt option. It get costly when you have to get $80 chanter a $900 set of pipes a $400 kilt a $400 doublet $40 hose $50 spats $200 sporran and on and on. It's nice to have a option to get a sharp looking kilt that only costs $99 so you can enjoy the marches and events. Thats just one guys suggestion.
    But the flip side is that you know that somebody that is so heavily invested is in it for the long haul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    But the flip side is that you know that somebody that is so heavily invested is in it for the long haul.
    I was unemployed for about a year. I had nothing to do but practice my piping and look for jobs. I am heavily invested in my band but I'm still broke. Having a option for a cheaper kilt until you can afford a good one gets people involved. If you make it unattainable for some than they will lose interest and quite. Where if they can participate then they will want to look and sound better and better.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowher View Post
    Having a option for a cheaper kilt until you can afford a good one gets people involved.
    Depends on whether the member foots the bill for the majority of the kit, or the band. Each band does it differently*. If the band buys a large part of the uniform bits without 'selling' them in turn to the members, then those bits remain the property of the band and return to the band inventory when the member leaves, for whatever reason.

Some bits may be bought by the band in bulk to get a lower price, then the band offers the item to the membership at that lower price (essentially reimbursing the band at cost). This works well for things like kilt hose and headgear, that are really personal-type items. (I personally wouldn't wear used kilt hose, no matter how many times it had been washed. ) The more expensive items (kilts, sporrans, waistcoats, etc.) may be purchased by the band and retained in inventory.

The membership would then be expected to maintain ther band-issued equipment to the best of their ability (periodic cleanings, holes repaired, etc.), or they get charged the cost of replacement and keep (the remains of) the damaged/repaired gear.

*(I've been without full-time employment for quite a bit longer - still am. I'm still kitted out with band-related gear because the band owns most of it.)
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow I didn't realize there was a lot of kilt bands who did that. I have been in two bands and we the members are responsible for our uniforms. But yes if the band took care of that it wouldn't be a issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast