X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: White Cockade

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I'd like to expand on my previous post and say that until this thread I had never heard of a white cockade having significance of any kind.

I doubt if one in 10,000 are aware of it in Europe, the Americas and NZ/Australia. Far fewer anywhere else.

It is silly to say it is a political or religious symbol to anyone other than those few who recognize it as such.
    So it's use as a symbol in a historic period is "silly", and we historians are "silly" for even mentioning it? Sorry, but as an educator, I respectfully disagree.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My apologies, I did not like to use the word "silly" but could not think of the more appropriate term, which I have decided is "presumptuous".

Historical accuracy if fine. Thinking it means anything to anyone other than fellow historians is ... not reasonable.

Better?
    MEMBER: Kilted Cognoscenti

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted. Pointless to argue...
    Last edited by macwilkin; 8th April 11 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some might say that presumptuous would most certainly apply to one who
    would decide for others how they should FEEL. Personal beliefs are just that.
    And the fact that it was used as it was is fact; it is still the symbol for that movement. No one's opinion alters that fact. You are free to have an opinion on whether you wish to wear it, and that is what the OP asked. If you haven't paid attention in class, and thereby are poorly informed, it is not the fault of those who did pay attention. And in any case it is dicey to speak in such a manner on such an emotionally charged issue. Having myself been accused of disrespectful posts, I agree that words can be taken to mean something unintended.

I don't have a dog in this hunt. Ancestors did. Some died over this issue.
    At least one was enslaved because of his support. Whether they were right
    or wrong is not the issue here, but it might well be inappropriate to belittle their commitment. I wasn't there, and I don't know why they chose their path. I have a right to agree or disagree with their choices, I don't have the right to belittle the value of their effort or their lives. My opinion is that I
    have an obligation to honor their effort to create a society they hoped would be better for their families. If you had ancestors who came here from anywhere in the British Isles, this issue most certainly has had an effect on how you live your life today.

This is why history is important. Some aspects of this same issue are once more before us in society, and would be helpful if we were better acquainted with how it has been tried before. The political aspects are not going to be
    solved here, nor will the religious. Allowing someone to say "This is how I do or do not apply this symbol in my life and this is why" does not seem to me to be too much to ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps some of the historians on the forum might care to give authoritative opinion as to the extent Jacobism was synonymous with Catholicism? OK, Charles was Catholic, but my reading suggests that a very significant proportion of Jacobites (including many of the gentry and at least one minister) were in fact Protestant. Given a largely protestant England and a Catholic France, one can see why labelling the Jacobites as all Catholics would have been a very useful piece of propaganda for those politically opposed to them. Anyone have provable facts?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has been reported to the Moderators and is being moved to the Cooling Off Corner for our deliberations.

Ern
    For the XMarks Staff

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread Closed after Moderators review of thread and pending posts in moderation. OP concurs to thread being closed. Thread moved to Historical Highland Attire upon member’s suggestion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123