X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    Here's a weird question, though I'm having trouble with the wording. Did the people in the cultures of the British Isles ever dress up in costumes during these periods? I mean like fantasy costumes?
    There have been "masqued balls" and other such costumey events for many centuries, so I'd say yes....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a weird question, though I'm having trouble with the wording. Did the people in the cultures of the British Isles ever dress up in costumes during these periods? I mean like fantasy costumes?
    Yes. They did. Masquerade balls. Costume parties. Styles have changed but people have not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The simplist answer to that is that due to the various sumptuary laws and religious doctrines of the day, it's a good bet that there was not too much fantasy costuming, other than by the nobility at themed parties and by licensed theater groups.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the starting question, I managed to get 8 yards of tartan wool-blend for $15 on an ebay sale. Just arrange the pleats in back and cinch it with a belt and-voila! Correct period great kilt for almost nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, might be an interesting topic of what kind of costumes were worn etc. Guess, with several of Shakespeare's plays, for example, there was a sort of historical reenacting that went on too...
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess, with several of Shakespeare's plays, for example, there was a sort of historical reenacting that went on too...
    Interesting point. I wonder what the original costumes for Macbeth looked like.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    Interesting point. I wonder what the original costumes for Macbeth looked like.
    I don't know... I took Shakespeare courses in college, but I don't recall discussions of the costuming; more the set up of the Globe theater and that type of thing. I just don't recall...
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a decade+ of doing faires, My best advice for any Faire goer just starting out:

*Have a good head covering

*It is historical Theater, not Living History... have fun with your garb

*Dont load yourself down with so many weapons and accoutrement that you will be uncomfortable or feel like a pack mule

*eat and hydrate... Salty snacks before hand will help your body retain water. Having a good mug is very crucial to staying hydrated and still maintaining the illusion.

*Have fun and dont take it too damned seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah your more likely to run into fairy wings and glitter dust than a historically accurate get up. Basically it's an excuse for people to dress up have fun and get drunk not necessarily in that order though :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethrmc View Post
    Back to the starting question, I managed to get 8 yards of tartan wool-blend for $15 on an ebay sale. Just arrange the pleats in back and cinch it with a belt and-voila! Correct period great kilt for almost nothing.
    Great kilts weren't actually 8 or 9 yards long. That's a misconception. They were more like 4 to 6 yards long. They were 9 yards of fabric. It was cut in half into two 4.5 yard lengths, and then sewn together into one 4.5 yard, double width piece of fabric. This was because looms of the period couldn't make cloth in double width.

Woodsheal- am I correct on this? Also, to be period accurate, you don't have to wear a clan tartan. You can go to a fabric store and pick up some generic tartan-esque cloth. Also, along with great kilts, wee kilts were worn. They weren't tailored, they were simply a single width version of the great kilt, which makes sense really, when you consider how the great kilt was constructed.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast