X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else Geocache?

Anyone else here do this?

I recently found yet another obsession--geocaching. You have to love a hobby that leads to interesting places, challenges you(sometimes physically, sometimes mentally, sometimes both), and sometimes makes you feel like a secret agent in a cheesy movie trying to locate hidden items in public places without giving away what you're doing. Plus, it's basically free since I use the "c:geo" app and GPS on my phone.

Today I had my son with me while I was locating a cache in a public park. It's fun balancing playing with him, monitoring everyone around us and the whole time I have a secret mission to complete--determine the approximate location of the cache, search for it, find it, open it, sign the log, replace it, conceal it, and not get noticed. I swear I could hear the James Bond Theme in my head the whole time. One of todays caches was in a place I have not only walked by thousands of times...I helped build it. I was sitting less than a yard away from the cache no more than two months ago!

If you're interested google "geocache" and check it out. Like I said, if you have a smart phone or already own a GPS receiver it's all free too--I recommend using either "GPS Essentials" or the "GPS Status" apps for navigating with Android smartphones. A smartphone is plenty good enough for this IMHO, but a dedicated GPS unit would be really handy since GPS tends to eat phone batteries.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <sigh>

changed my mind. . .
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandaughters 12 and 13 have been at it for the last few month and have created a couple o new ones. North coast of Scotland. They said there are hundreds up here. One they were looking for near Tongue, Sutherland, according to the coords put it about half a mile out to sea. I said maybe you have to dive for that one. ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisupyonder View Post
    My daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandaughters 12 and 13 have been at it for the last few month and have created a couple o new ones. North coast of Scotland. They said there are hundreds up here. One they were looking for near Tongue, Sutherland, according to the coords put it about half a mile out to sea. I said maybe you have to dive for that one. ith:
    Hope they're strong swimmers! Maybe that was a typo.

I heard about it a few years ago but just recently got started. It's amazing how many places people are doing this...some that I've been to and wouldn't go scrounging around again like Iraq and Afganistan. Surprising...risky. Better be some single malt in those caches!
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a great excuse to get some time outside in the fresh air.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.a...0-b30f9b3d9cb6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerk View Post
    It's a great excuse to get some time outside in the fresh air.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.a...0-b30f9b3d9cb6
    Yessir. If I get out to the Bay Area any time soon I'll make a point of tracking that one down.
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing this for a little while through my local community parks system. Each of the parks have between 15-20 caches currently located throughout the properties; so that should be more than enough with about 10 parks involved to keep me busy for awhile. I have found that the GPS signal when I get into some of the heavily wooded areas isn't precise enough on my phone to be of much good. Thankfully I have a handheld GPS that I bought years ago for some long distance hikes I used to take. Gotten a couple friends hooked along with me which just makes it that much more fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also just recently just discovered this. It's a lot of fun, and a great excuse to get some fresh air.

So far I've only found 7 or 8 caches, but I got a ton of them saved on my GPSr.

With some of them, you really gotta be cleaver to get at and not get "muggled".

Always -Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both my wife and I have been doing this for a long time our user name is "satnavinakilt" we have found 144 to date most in the UK but some in Italy and this year we will be doing some in Cyprus

regards

Derek

Pennsyl-tuckey-vill-burg-town (aka central Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently found a seemingly random ammo box on the Loyalsock trail near Williamsport, PA. Turned out to be a geocache.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast