X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling like being kilted

Great how the weather changes you, just now its a fine afternoon after a deluge during the night, its Friday night and I'm heading into Glasgow for a few drinks with some friends and I'll wear the kilt tonight for no other reason than I feel like being kilted. Its been a few weeks since I was last kilted, brought a kilt to Lanzarote a couple of weeks ago but just too warm to wear even a light weight kilt, shorts were much more comfortable.
    So will probably get all the usual questions in the bar tonight as to why I'm wearing a kilt but I suppose when I don't get any questions or smiles then the kilt will have lost its attraction, funnily enough it never does to perfect strangers, some times when kilted particularly on a cruise ship you just want to sit down, enjoy a drink and not answer any questions but lets face it most of us love the attention and are mostly polite even to the drunk kilt lifter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    <snip> ...but I suppose when I don't get any questions or smiles then the kilt will have lost its attraction, funnily enough it never does to perfect strangers, some times when kilted particularly on a cruise ship you just want to sit down, enjoy a drink and not answer any questions but lets face it most of us love the attention and are mostly polite even to the drunk kilt lifter
    True enough. I maintain my position that the kilt is special clothing, even when worn under mundane circumstances.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strikes me as odd that people in Scotland would consider the wearing of a kilt to be a special event. Having not been there, sort of figured kilts were much more common -- guess not.
    -john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    [snip]some times when kilted particularly on a cruise ship you just want to sit down, enjoy a drink and not answer any questions but lets face it most of us love the attention and are mostly polite even to the drunk kilt lifter
    I have to say, although I don't go kilted as much as the average XMTS member, I do love the attention. On Easter Sunday (for my family's sake) I went with them to a church service, which was followed by a snacks and socializing time. I dressed up my black X-Kilt a bit, with a nice purple dress shirt, and a longish black coat. I couldn't even count the number of times I noticed people looking me up and down, or the many double takes. My mother was also amused by how many people's attention I caught. One older lady walked up to me, put her hand on my arm, and said to me "I wish my son were here, he wears his kilt all the time!" Definitely the best time I've had at a church in many years, although that probably doesn't count as a good reason ;P.

I have my eye on a Utilikilt next, I guess it's true that you can't have just one. (although the more I think about it, I almost think trying for a second X-Kilt, solely by myself this time, might be a better idea before dropping $200 on a Utilikilt.. hmm)
    Last edited by Kirika; 6th May 11 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    <snip>
    I have my eye on a Utilikilt next, I guess it's true that you can't have just one. (although the more I think about it, I almost think trying for a second X-Kilt, solely by myself this time, might be a better idea before dropping $200 on a Utilikilt.. hmm)
    Check out our sponsor Alt.Kilt above for a better price...
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmiller View Post
    Strikes me as odd that people in Scotland would consider the wearing of a kilt to be a special event. Having not been there, sort of figured kilts were much more common -- guess not.
    You are not alone in thinking that.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed myself that I am wearing my kilt more and more after seeing that the vast majority of attention it generates does seem to be positive; or atleast amusing. Hard to beat the look an older lady (probably around 75) had on her face as she asked "Is it true what they say about, um, you know, um under kilts??" While I was wearing an undergarment that day I felt compelled to tell her "I'm wearing shoes and socks under." I figured after all the effort she put into getting the question out she deserved the answer she was hoping for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser348 View Post
    i have noticed myself that i am wearing my kilt more and more after seeing that the vast majority of attention it generates does seem to be positive; or atleast amusing. Hard to beat the look an older lady (probably around 75) had on her face as she asked "is it true what they say about, um, you know, um under kilts??" while i was wearing an undergarment that day i felt compelled to tell her "i'm wearing shoes and socks under." i figured after all the effort she put into getting the question out she deserved the answer she was hoping for.
    lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by jrmiller

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    You are not alone in thinking that.
    Well there's at least one old kiltie doing his shopping in Thurso... Me. (except when it's tooooooo windy)

Chris.
    Last edited by chrisupyonder; 7th May 11 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmiller View Post
    People in Scotland more or less consider that there has to be a reason why you are kilted. It certainly is uncommon to see someone wear the kilt for every day wear, there are very few in Scotland who wear it on that basis.
    Nevertheless it seems funny also to say that the kilt is a common enough sight in Scotland, it is well accepted by all sexes and age groups, it must be years since someone on the opposite side of the street sang ' Donald whaurs yer troosers' to me. (probably i miss that)
    Last Saturday, i was out for dinner at a local hotel where there was a wedding reception with many, many kilted guests and throughout the summer season this is evident throughout the length and breadth of Scotland, its seldom in any Scots city not to see a kilted person at the weekend.
    The problem is that so many Scots have hired kilts or bought kilts, there has to be hundreds of thousands of the indigenous Scots population who are kilt owners(particularly with the increase in the cheap kilt market) but seldom wear the kilt and when that happens, its a special event