X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Location?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Is the consensus that if my location was stated as "Buckingham Palace" that I would be treated in exactly the same way as if it was stated to be "Broadmoor"!
    Considering that most of the members here are from outwith the UK, they probably don't know the significance of "Broadmoor", so the answer would probably be yes, you would be treated much the same.-------lots of bowing etc!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the consensus that if my location was stated as "Buckingham Palace" that I would be treated in exactly the same way as if it was stated to be "Broadmoor"!
    As the inmates of Broadmoor are not allowed access to the internet, I would assume you to be a prison officer, cook or cleaner. For Buckingham Palace, it would be cook or cleaner as well.

We are not going to agree on this, so do as you will, Lime. Where ever you are.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Lime

Considering that most of the members here are from outwith the UK, they probably don't know the significance of "Broadmoor", so the answer would probably be yes, you would be treated much the same.-------lots of bowing etc!

Well, I'm in Canada, and I know those locations well.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Alright Lime you have rumbled me, the cat is out of the bag, I am a 12(soon to be 13) girl living in New York and I have never been outside of the city limits and the pictures I post are of Great Uncle Ivor from Swansea, Wales who runs a theatrical props department! Well OK perhaps not.
    Jock, bubbi! When are we going to do a kilt meet??!!

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock: you have taken my point exactly, made it more succinct, and also incredibly funny.

Now *that* is what I mean by "quality of posting".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Broadmoor?

This is where the confusion sets in if location isn't given. In the UK Broadmoor is a prison; in Seattle, Washington, USA, it is a very upscale neighborhood where homes range in value from US $1.5 million to as much as US $10 million. Now I can fully appreciate that the intent of the quoted post is to call attention to the potential for "post code/zip code" discrimination, something that happens when signing on for car insurance, but that doesn't exist in the realm of an exchange of information on an open forum; the point being that whether one pushes a broom at Buck House, or sips cocktails at Broadmoor, the advice tendered would be the same: "No White Socks".

Things can't get more (shudder) "egalitarian" than that.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is where the confusion sets in if location isn't given. In the UK Broadmoor is a prison; in Seattle, Washington, USA, it is a very upscale neighborhood where homes range in value from US $1.5 million to as much as US $10 million. Now I can fully appreciate that the intent of the quoted post is to call attention to the potential for "post code/zip code" discrimination, something that happens when signing on for car insurance, but that doesn't exist in the realm of an exchange of information on an open forum; the point being that whether one pushes a broom at Buck House, or sips cocktails at Broadmoor, the advice tendered would be the same: "No White Socks".

Things can't get more (shudder) "egalitarian" than that.
    Therefore location only confuses the issue and is irrelevant anyway because the advice remains the same?

As a general point I do remain open on this issue and am genuinely interested in what everyone is saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Therefore location only confuses the issue and is irrelevant anyway because the advice remains the same?

As a general point I do remain open on this issue and am genuinely interested in what everyone is saying.
    I guess that is why country of origin for the poster is probably the most important part of the location. Having said that I only put the state I live in having assumed people would know Tennessee is in the USA. I too should probably add USA to my location and think I will. Knowing everyone's country is simply just kind of nice in my opinion. I think it is fun to know I am conversing with someone outside of the US. Even though currently I am not in Tennessee but working abroad at the moment.

Whoops I guess I already added United States. Ha Ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Live Down The Hill....

I live in the city of Lomita, Ca. from here we speak of people who "live on the hill" which is the Palos Verdes Penninsula. Here are some very expensive homes and wealthy people, often they have magnificent ocean views. I could give a damn if someone looks down their nose about my city, I like it. I would look no differently on some one from one neighborhood than the other. I would judge them on the quality and value of their posts and the benefit the bring to the community here. I guess I learned that in the service, where you have people from all over America. Our guide-on in basic training got his first new pair of shoes ever in boot camp, I had a woman work for me who had never been in an elevator until she went to the base hospital. But when the stuff hits the blades you rely on those people, you trust in them and you believe in them, you encourage them and support them. So maybe my sense of egalatarianism is different, I base it on the qualities of the individual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please pass the biscuits...

Not in the least, and I'm surprised that anyone would think they could get away with that line of argument. If you gave your location as "Broadmoor, England" advice tendered may, or may not, be the same as advice offered if your address was given as "Broadmoor, Seattle, USA". It depends on the question, doesn't it?.

Part of your original pitch for anonymity was tied into the concept of "equality". Where that argument falls at the first fence is that "equal" is a measure of sameness. If I give you three biscuits and I give Jock three biscuits, you both have the same number of biscuits. But what if Jock's biscuits have raisins in them and yours don't? Equal, but not necessarily fair, at least by some lights.

By the very course of nature, people, like biscuits, aren't all the same and (aside from the application of the law) they aren't equal. We, as a society, overcome this natural lack of equality by applying the concept of fairness to the way in which we interact with one another. By stressing fairness, we can compensate for any lack of equality that may, from time to time, arise, either on the high street or on an internet forum.

I have yet to see any serious argument put forward that would convince me that listing one's location is in anyway unfair to either the individual member or the membership as a whole. On the contrary, by holding back information, whilst soliciting advice, it would seem as though one is being unfair to those who take the time to respond to these posts with what is, in effect, worthless opinion or information-- biscuits without raisins.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast