X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Location?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Location?

I have noticed a lot of new members not giving their location. It can sometimes be helpful and help us to help them, if we at least know which continent they are on. Just a suggestion.

Chris.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Whilst I can well see the point of not being too precise; something like an area which is fairly vague like say, Texas, or, New South Wales, or even, Inverness-shire does help with the advice given.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree totally. I think worse than no location is the joke location. "State of Confusion", "State of Undress", are but a couple that have been used here. People try and take the high ground and mumble about internet security. They shouldn't be posting on a forum then should they? They are supposed to be kilt wearers. Do they think that they are invisible?

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree Gentlemen, it's nice to know what part of the world a poster resides in when they give an opinion or ask a question. It does help those responding perhaps understand their particular problem or view.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a thread a couple months ago about using Lat/Long in the location block to make it easier to direct the quaich. I guess it worked for that, but was a bit confusing too.
    "When I wear my Kilt, God looks down with pride and the Devil looks up with envy." --Unknown
    Proud Chief of Clan Bacon. You know you want some!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why the location isn't made mandatory, something I've lobbied for in the past. Chris, Jock, Chas, and Downunder, have given the reasons why location is important-- perhaps someone else could explain why they don't bother to list their location?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    I don't understand why the location isn't made mandatory, something I've lobbied for in the past. Chris, Jock, Chas, and Downunder, have given the reasons why location is important-- perhaps someone else could explain why they don't bother to list their location?

Because I just tick people off so much that it's in my best interest to go easy on telling everyone my location. I stopped listing it when my name started popping up on another place on the web, and not in a nice way.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    Because I just tick people off so much that it's in my best interest to go easy on telling everyone my location. I stopped listing it when my name started popping up on another place on the web, and not in a nice way.
    No that is not good Ted I quite agree, but surely something as vague as USA, or even North America would be OK without a hit squad turning up on your doorstep?

The problem for those giving advice is when, particularly when, a new member asks for advice without giving a clue of where in the world they come from and that handy bit of information does colour the advice that may be given. After all, a January wedding in Alaska does require more than a slight adjustment to one's attire compared to a January wedding in Australia.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th May 11 at 09:20 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Not that is not good Ted I quite agree, but surely something as vague as USA, or even North America would be OK without a hit squad turning up on your doorstep?

The problem for those giving advice is when, particularly when, a new member asks for advice without giving a clue of where in the world they come from and that handy bit of information does colour the advice that may be given. After all, a January wedding in Alaska does require more than a slight adjustment to one's attire compared to a January wedding in Australia.

I just put something there, so not an issue.

I was a little worried at the time, though... and removed all of those things in my profile.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    I just put something there, so not an issue.

I was a little worried at the time, though... and removed all of those things in my profile.
    but Ted, saying that you are in a Desert SW , doesn't really help that much either, most of us know you are in the United States, but there are other deserts around the world that might have a SW part of them as well.

I agree with the earlier posters in simply not understanding why listing a general location/area/country ( type of thing) isn't made more important , as Chas said if people are so worried about security what are they doing on an internet forum, and as Jock said advice is made more relevant if we know where the member is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast