X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day wear for June wedding, advise please

A long time friend (a MacDonald) is getting married in June. She (and her fiancee) has requested that I come kilted in my MacQueen tartan.

The dress code is formal for the wedding party, and semi formal (i.e. sport coats & neckties for the gents) for the guests. I am technically a guest, and not a member of the wedding party.

I was planning on wearing my one jacket (a J.C. Higgins, in Fen tweed), with one of the two shirts shown. Then pair that with either the Hunter Green, the Wine or the striped tie (blue, gray and burgundy). I am going with a pair of black cap toe oxfords, and my plain, brown sporran. But am having a tough time deciding on the Lovat Green hose, or the Ancient Green.

One of the shirts is light red and blue with lines on a white background, forming a large checked pattern. The other shirt is white with brown and blue lines, forming a small checked pattern.

Does the rabble have a preference for any particular shirt, necktie and hose? Or have I hit upon a situation where I can not go very wrong with any of the choices?

---------------------------------------
    One has no need for a snooze button, when one has a hungry cat.

Tartan Riders, Kilted Oregon

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Striped tie, ancient green hose, and the tattersall shirt in the right hand photo.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovat green hose, the blue tie, larger check tattersall shirt and red flashes if you have them. Make sure those black oxfords are shined to within an inch of their lives and you will be the traditional Scottish gentleman
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just shut your eyes and put on the first shirt, tie, hose, whatever, that comes to hand from your selection and you will not be far out.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just shut your eyes and put on the first shirt, tie, hose, whatever, that comes to hand from your selection and you will not be far out.
    I think it all looks great, so I agree with Jock with one exception; grab the shirt with the larger checks before closing your eyes.

I just like the look of the larger pattern.

Judging by your photos, you're a man of good taste (with an excellent tartan), so I can't imagine you'd go too far wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would probably skip the red tie so as to be more likely to be less noticeable than the bridal party, in my hometown. On the other hand a red tie with a red kilt might be a perfectly good choice for that situation, that guest list in whichever city.

Otherwise, I agree with Jock ( and I think Chrisupyonder has said it before too ) just toss it all up in the air and pick the pieces that land on top. I don't think you can go far wrong with any of those choices.

And really do try the toss (or eyes closed) method. Vaccum a rug, gather all the bits up in your arms and toss them, pick out the pieces on top. It is a really neat feeling to actually do it once and end up with a combination that works.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think any and all of that would look just wonderful together. I wouldn't worry about it too much. All very traditional, and pretty much what I would wear in a similar circumstance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the striped tie, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the combinations you have presented.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don't forget your fedora! ... Just kidding. ;-)
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.