X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say, that is quite the description from someone who "was not really of an age to take much notice"! Imagine the lads of today:

Q: What was your mother wearing?

A: I dunno, something black?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    First of all, welcome from Inverness-shire.

My mother used to ride to hounds side saddle, but that was in the 1930/40/50's so maybe her attire would have been quite a bit different,I really don't know.Maybe this might help.

From what I remember and I was not really of an age to take much notice, she(mother) wore some sort of riding britches(dark in colour) under a heavy large very dark blue voluminous skirt, with a dark green lining and I think that was silk, that draped oh so elegantly and casually over part of the horse and her when mounted. She wore super highly polished, just below the knee, black riding boots and the very short spurs.On the upper half she wore a matching lady's "hunting cut" jacket(cut short a bit like a kilt jacket length) and around her neck a silk hunting stock held together with a gold pin(a bit like a traditional kilt pin). On her head she wore some sort of black bowler hat with a net veil of some kind.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the same thing, Sydnie. Imagine what Jock would notice if he really put his mind to it!
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good grief, when I saw the title I thought it referred to the habit of having babies on horseback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * Never mind, off topic. *
    Last edited by Bugbear; 19th May 11 at 10:57 AM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing this inquiry called to mind a book I once read titled The Bishop’s Lady, an account of the life of Sophy Gray, wife of the first Anglican bishop of Cape Town, Robert Gray.
    She often travelled with her husband as he went about his vast diocese (initially it included both Natal and the Eastern Cape, although he did not himself visit Natal, and new dioceses for these regions were created in 1852).
    Mostly she rode in a Cape cart (much like a Scotch cart), but in some areas the roads were inadequate, and she and the bishop rode on horseback.
    She typically wore a green riding habit, under which she usually had chamois riding trousers – but since it was regarded as unseemly for a lady to wear trousers, she kept this a closely guarded secret.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    many riding habits of the time, and past times were fashioned after military uniforms.

From Godey Ladies Magazine, 1861
    "To beginat the top, the present style of round brimmed straw or beaver spanish hats (not wide brimmed flats), so fashionable for young ladies' travelling headgear, is an admirale riding-hat. It would be best to leave off the lace and head-frill usually worn, as this might dash about th eeyes and obstruct the slight in case of a flurry. Plumes could be added with charming effect. Dress the hair low back, and if cathered in a net, according to the present style, so much the better. It is always annoying to have their hair get loose and go flying about while on a lively ride, unless it is dressed on purpose to float at will. The underclothes have much to do with the frase of a riding costume. Hoops and all other defices formaking the dress stand out, must be positively dispensed with; and all starchy goods, either for underskirts or outside habit. It does not alarm us nor shock up sto see the flutter of a white petticoat on an embriodered skirt, but when such things make a show on the field, it is a sure sign that the lady is not dressed right.
    A sleeved chemise of light flannel stuff, a single short petticoat of the same, trousers to match the outside habit, rather full and gathered at the ankle in an elastic band, and buttoned aobut the side at the waist is a bill of under-costume that sits well and tells no tales, while the horseis showing his best paces. Gaiters or morocco boots with heels, and long stockings, of course, will complete the footgear."

I have personally found that a second petticoat will assist to disguise the shape of the pommels and leg while mounted. My habit though, is designed for 'visiting' rather than hunting so the material is a softer lighter wool rather than a heavier melton-ish weight. I have a poor photo of boots that is a scanned copy from Godeys Magazine and Ladies book from 1854 but they are probably mid-calf, wider than todays close fitting drss boots, a 1" or so heel and pointy toe. Still at this time ther would have been no right/left differentation of the footwear.

Good luck! I hope this helps and it is not too late. I would love to see photos, I need to make a new habit before next years' tartan day parade in NYC. last year's habit was thrown together a bit. Luckilly with a parade as packed as the NYC parade, spectators didn't get a chance to see that my apron was not quite 'proper'

ps - I use a decent cotton broadcloth for my petticoats, you don't want anything slippery like silk or satin and you can heavily starch it and possibly you wont need a second.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12