X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBean View Post
    and here's the esential solution for belts from cavscout:

Assuming your belt edges are essentially squared off, you wold first want to bevel the edge. Tandy sells edge bevelers of various sizes. This begins the rounding process by slicing off the sharp corner edge. We're not talking a drastic rounding. This is a very subtle radius, just enough to blunt the edge. The beveler will only take off a thin sliver of leather.

If the belt edges are not dyed to match the belt, you may want to dye the edges.

Then Burnish the edges which is a fancy way of saying rub them smooth. There are many ways to do this but essentially you want it to be a smooth rounded edge when your done. Essentially all your doing is getting the short edge fibers to lay down smooth. Using bees wax or other edge treatments will help and somewhat seal the edge but some will just use hot water and elbow grease. A piece of burlap or denim is often used to do the rubbing. You'll spend a lot of time and effort on this phase and this step is why the price of a none-edge treated belt and an edge treated belt are so different.

Once the edge is round and smooth, you can coat the edge with one of several edge seals or coats.
    It should be noted that this only works on "Real" leather. Stuff with a plasticized finish or that's made from leatherboard will NOT survive this process.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A piece of burlap or denim is often used to do the rubbing.
    Believe it or not, a piece of brown paper sack material works pretty good too for burnishing the edges.

Once the edge is round and smooth, you can coat the edge with one of several edge seals or coats.
    You will also want to do another light burnish after the edge kote is applied. Many manufacturers of these products (especially the Fiebings Edge Kote) say you don't need to burnish after applying, but I always do. And I find it makes the end result look better. Just a light burnishing is all it needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    Oconee makes sporran straps of that type, with beveled/burnished leather edges:

http://oconeeleatherworks.com/SporranStraps.htm

Mojo Leather has 'em with non-swiveling clips, or a basic "belt" type sporran strap. Again, both have beveled/burnished edges:

http://www.mojoleather.com
    I just ordered one of the abovementioned "basic" sporran belts from Mojo Leather in dark brown, mainly for air travel purposes.

???, you may ask.

Whatever sporran I wear on a plane will almost certainly be my dark brown Ferguson Britt "Glen Shira Mor" or my brown Stillwater leather cargo sporran. Other sporrans I might wear at a destination are also F-Bs: Either my black Duin Uasal or my Glengyle Fur (black cantle & tassels w/natural beaver fur). The F-Bs come with a unique sporran strap I really love -- but that strap is not so well suited for quickly & easily getting the sporran off & on again when going through TSA security screening.

Actually, I just thought of a similar screening thing likely to come up more quickly than a plane flight somewhere. I just received a summons to jury duty with a report date of June 14. If I do get selected, I expect I'll be the only kilted juror. . .
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the others that have posted here recommend, get a sporran strap - there are no clips.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having used a military pouch with a leather strap (way back when I was under 30), I was a bit disappointed when the first two sporrans to come my way (one a gift, the other one initially borrowed, but now on its way back to me as my property) came with chains.
    The one chain was too short, so I was forced to use the other one with both sporrans. The cheap snaps scratched my kilt in a few places. The chain broke more than once, and I eventually ordered a pair of leather straps from a Highland outfitter in Cape Town.
    Much better!
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the process of building my first sporran, and for the strap, I am using some old reins from my wifes horse stuff. They have rounded edges and great buckles. I am mostly using them because they were handy, but they actually look really good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a 3/4-inch or 1-inch nylon strap and matching side-release buckle works very well, especially with a Stillwater Nightstalker or for casual wear. No snagging that I can see.

"No man is genuinely happy, married, who has to drink worse whiskey than he used to drink when he was single." ---- H. L. Mencken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up! I changed my cheap clips out for the "lobster claw" style tonight.

Mr.Charles Anthony is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Kilt Damage From Cheap Sporran Clip

Readers;
    Here is one cure, I bought an East German Map case(for another purpose) and I use the dark brown Nylon,Plastic(?) strap for my sporran. The strap has a metal post and a few holes in the strap, to make the size wanted. Nice and soft on the wool kilt too! No 'wear marks' rubbed into a kilt from a "Harley Drive Chain" that some folks wear!
    Also, a tip from another kilt wearer I know; He has leather covers over the snaps. He folds the leather back, snaps the clip , and folds it down over the snap, it seems to work.

CopperNGold is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Kilt Damage From Cheap Sporran Clip

Buying quality items will make a difference in the long run. It make take longer for you to buy a good leather sporran strap, but it will last forever with good care and maintenance.

Buying quality items does not necessarily mean that the item will not cause damage to your kilt. Even high end retailers like Gucci, LV, or Ferragamo have flaws. I've bought shoes and handbags from both retailers with flaws that have caused problems. Leather edges that have scraped my ankle, or a handbag clasp that has rough edges that catch on a scarf or coat. However, especially with Ferragamo, which puts out a much better product in my opinion, with good polishing, regular repairs, etc., those shoes and handbags will outlast me!

Why not try wearing your new straps or chains over an old woolen shirt for a few days while around the house? That way, you can look for any rough edges and find any flaws in the leather finish or metal clasps before you try them with your kilts and make any necessary repairs. Also, a good quality house like those listed above will do the repairs for you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast