X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Smith View Post
    Hello all. I recently ordered a new balmoral from Dunad Trading company. I studied this thread religiously, trying to get it "Jocked just right. I soaked it for a day in a bucket of cool, clean water. I dried it overnight, and soaked it again. I didn't beat it, wring it, twist it, or otherwise mistreat it.

After the second soak, I followed the directions for molding and shaping as provided, and wore it dry, in a climate-controlled environment.

I like the way it looks from the front; but it's got some significant dents and divots, in the top, especially. I gave it a third dunking yesterday, and fussed with it to get them out; but they're still there:

Forgive the quality of the pictures. I took them of myself; so they're not meant to be portraits, but to highlight the issues.

Do I have anything about which to worry? Should I dunk it again? I do hope I haven't done any irreparable damage to the bunnet. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks to all.

-Bo

Bo,

It looks fine to me. Perhaps you're being a bit fussy. Just wear it a bit...it's just a hat. It will get broken in, which is the whole point of "Jocking" it in the first place.

Cordially,

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is likely I'm just fussing over it. I don't have a basis for comparison; and I want everything "just so".

Paulie, you've about got me sold on the Kingussie. Decisions, decisions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Thanks guys. Now I just need some more gear to go with it (A badge, for starters.
    I'd encourage you to look for a vintage silver badge, rather than the ubiquitous chrome ones that all the vendors sell. Something like this:

Which clan are you a follower of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about clans. There are some Armstrongs in family history; but I don't know anything about them.

I'd love to have my wife make me a nice cockade or rosette (as is traditional); but she's just not crafty.

I do like that silver badge, though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about clans. There are some Armstrongs in family history; but I don't know anything about them.

I'd love to have my wife make me a nice cockade or rosette (as is traditional); but she's just not crafty.

I do like that silver badge, though.
    Here's a vintage Clan Smith badge:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely!

Source? Or is that one from your private collection?

Edited: Never mind. Found it on Etsy.
    Last edited by Bo Smith; 24th May 11 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice cap badges. I know that there are some bespoke badges sold at the Scottish Tartan Museum gift shop... Might look there, Bo.
    To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -E. E. Cummings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    Looks pretty good to me! I wouldn't worry about it.
    What he said ^ it has character.

Rondo

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty damn good to me!

Just a few thoughts and observations, as long as COLD water is used and NO MAJOR wringing or squeezing( a good kicking is best) takes place you will do no harm to your bonnet.

It is best if the wool does not dry out between soakings ----and kickings---- before the molding process. Although, after wearing it a while you may decide to do some fine tuning, so further jocking will do no harm. I usually wait until its raining to do my fine tuning.

Don't forget we are not going for the severe ironed, shrunk, shaved military look,or, the flat ironed, flying saucer, helipad look either. A few dips and bumps in the bonnet are part and parcel of the civilian look.

Lastly looking at your pictures Bo, when you get your badge you may want to move it( the whole bonnet, in other words, needs twisting backwards) back an inch, perhaps a tad more (well OK, half way from where you have it now and your ear!) back towards the ear. Remember we are not going for the Non Scots military idea of the badge being over the left eye.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th May 11 at 11:00 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock and all-

I may give it another dunking soon, just to tweak it a bit (or wait for the big storm we should be getting in Salt Lake near the end of the week- I ma need to build an ark before it's said and done with all of the rain we've been getting). I never did let it dry completely before molding. In this damp, humid weather it took two full days to thoroughly dry.

As for the sewn-in cockade, that's where it fell with the ribbons at the twelve o'clock position. To shift it will require a needle and thread, I think. I am not averse to moving it back two or three inches. I just might need to enlist the aid of a seamstress. Any advice there is appreciated, as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast