X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you wear your wife's family she might git pissed and you will probably end up in the looney bin like Ed Gein.

Now that that is out of the way i have no useful info for you. But i think it is a nice gesture to where the tartan of your wifes family I think it shows her that you think her name and where she comes from is important to you. May be meaningful to her especially if she is taking your surname.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    Only sissy, emasculated men wear their wife's clan tartan. ;)
    Only men who do not have a secure sense of their own masculinity would even consider such nonsense!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    I assume you're joking.
    That's why I put the little winky there. Maybe I should have used this guy instead.

Lyle, to be clear, I would gladly wear my wife's tartan if she had one, and I had room for it after all the Clan Donald kilts I have planned.

[EDIT] Actually, now that I think of it, Bernardo O'Higgins is considered the Father of Chile and his father was from Sligo so I guess I could wear that one to honour her if I wished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clans, Customs, Tartans, and Patchwork Quilts

For centuries it has been the tradition in Scotland for a gentleman who does not belong to any clan to be adopted into his wife's clan. If, on the other hand, he belongs to another clan (in the same way a soldier belongs to his regiment or a sailor belongs to his ship) then it is the custom that the wife leaves her clan and enters that of her husband.

As the clan system applies to the kilt, the custom has evolved whereby a gentleman only wears the tartan associated with his surname as this is an outward manifestation of the intangible bond of loyalty that exists between a clansman and his chief. Now, if you have no ties to another clan, then custom would dictate that you formally become a member of your wife's clan, and then wear that clan tartan as your own, handing it down to your children as your family's "clan tartan".

I fully appreciate that some on this forum revel in wearing the tartan of every single Scottish ancestor to which they can lay claim. Such is not the case in Scotland, where a gentleman wears a tartan kilt, not a tartan patchwork of kilts, and only wears the tartan associated with his surname.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    For centuries it has been the tradition in Scotland for a gentleman who does not belong to any clan to be adopted into his wife's clan. If, on the other hand, he belongs to another clan (in the same way a soldier belongs to his regiment or a sailor belongs to his ship) then it is the custom that the wife leaves her clan and enters that of her husband.

As the clan system applies to the kilt, the custom has evolved whereby a gentleman only wears the tartan associated with his surname as this is an outward manifestation of the intangible bond of loyalty that exists between a clansman and his chief. Now, if you have no ties to another clan, then custom would dictate that you formally become a member of your wife's clan, and then wear that clan tartan as your own, handing it down to your children as your family's "clan tartan".

I fully appreciate that some on this forum revel in wearing the tartan of every single Scottish ancestor to which they can lay claim. Such is not the case in Scotland, where a gentleman wears a tartan kilt, not a tartan patchwork of kilts, and only wears the tartan associated with his surname.
    Aye, and this be the case in my circumstance.

I guess at the end of the day my main motive is a bit more selfish than those would assume on this forum...I just want more kilts!!!!!
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MoR has it spot on. My wife wears my tartan and has done so since we were married. I can't say that I ever recall discussing the subject with her, it is just what "we" do up here. Would I mind if she wore her family tartan? No, not at all. Would I wear her family's tartan? No. Would they like me to? No(we do get on well though!). Would they expect me to? No.Do I like it when my wife wears my tartan? Yes, very much.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th May 11 at 01:04 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burly Brute View Post
    I guess at the end of the day my main motive is a bit more selfish than those would assume on this forum...I just want more kilts!!!!!
    Nothing wrong with that brother.

In my earlier post, I confess, I thought about it from my own perspective rather than that of someone who follows the rules of propriety as they are in Scotland. I should have asked if you were more concerned with what is proper here or there, and how much of a traditionalist you are. That's what happens when you fire from the hip.

If you are concerned with propriety(as it is done in Scotland that is) then Jock and MoR are correct about how to go about it. If I recall you are Clan Gunn...correct me if I'm wrong(I'm going off my unreliable memory), so if you want to be old-world proper, heed their advice. If not, go for it...you won't hear boo from here.

While it's not the usual practice in the Highlands, there is an option that would satisfy your "tartanlust" and not result in wearing another clan's tartan: Universal tartans. There are tons of them, plus US Military tartans, state and national tartans, etc. I stick to those myself, despite (distant)ancestral connections to a clan, and have a head-spinning array of options!

Of course, there is also the option of contemporary kilts as well...though people will still ask you what tartan you're wearing, even if it's camouflage.
    Last edited by Whidbey78; 28th May 11 at 01:23 AM.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnny Patchwork... That's what they call me!

An' I'm most un-gentlemanly! Apparently.

The custom has been explained and is there for you to consider though I say crack on. I think your wife and her family would be chuffed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post

As always MoR is correct and precise. I wish you all happiness with your bride, but consider this also - With care, a good quality kilt should last more than 20 years. Even with care, the longest any of my three wives lasted was eight years. When making investments, a canny Scot should always be aware that value can sometimes go down......Robbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just want more kilts, I seacond the universal tartan idea. There are plenty to fill your kilt kabinet. Personally, I keep it more simple. Being Cornish, rather than Scottish, I don't have a clan or family tartan. My wife is Scottish, McNaughton, and so my son "has a claim".
    Back to my point, I love all the colours and tartans out there, but will limit myself to those which are relevant to me. I prefer the district tartan route since they represent where my family and I came from.

In the end, if you want to wear a kilt in your wife's clan tartan, go for it. Just be sure to wear it properly so as not to "disgrace" another clan. My wife certainly wouldn't mind if I wore her family's ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast