X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    That's why I put the little winky there. Maybe I should have used this guy instead.

Lyle, to be clear, I would gladly wear my wife's tartan if she had one, and I had room for it after all the Clan Donald kilts I have planned.

[EDIT] Actually, now that I think of it, Bernardo O'Higgins is considered the Father of Chile and his father was from Sligo so I guess I could wear that one to honour her if I wished.
    Yeah, I missed the emoticon! I have a large monitor screen and old eyes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    For centuries it has been the tradition in Scotland for a gentleman who does not belong to any clan to be adopted into his wife's clan. If, on the other hand, he belongs to another clan (in the same way a soldier belongs to his regiment or a sailor belongs to his ship) then it is the custom that the wife leaves her clan and enters that of her husband.

As the clan system applies to the kilt, the custom has evolved whereby a gentleman only wears the tartan associated with his surname as this is an outward manifestation of the intangible bond of loyalty that exists between a clansman and his chief. Now, if you have no ties to another clan, then custom would dictate that you formally become a member of your wife's clan, and then wear that clan tartan as your own, handing it down to your children as your family's "clan tartan".

I fully appreciate that some on this forum revel in wearing the tartan of every single Scottish ancestor to which they can lay claim. Such is not the case in Scotland, where a gentleman wears a tartan kilt, not a tartan patchwork of kilts, and only wears the tartan associated with his surname.
    I completely agree with you Scott and echo your words. My wife is a Robertson, and even though I am quite fond of her clan's tartan, as all Robertson variants are extremely attractive, I would never wear a kilt in the Robertson sett. My wife will sometimes wear a sash in her Robertson ancient tartan, typically at Highland games and other informal day activities, however for more formal ocassions, she will wear a Macpherson tartan sash, in which she has all the same tartans as I do in my kilts in order to match - which is highly appropriate for evening attire.

Luckily, I am of Highland ancestry, and am a Macpherson through my father's line, thus, I wear tartans of the Clan Macpherson and that is simply it - no other tartans from any other clans or families are worn by myself. Call me a purist, a staunch traditionalist, or whatever...it matters not to me, for that is where my beliefs in wearing Highland attire shall remain. My mother is a Smith (originally MacGowan), and I am aware of the Gow family tartan, which are numerous in shades and setts and like the Robertson tartans, are all quite handsome as well. However, I choose not to wear my kilt in any of those particular tartans - only Macpherson tartans - following the tradition of my father's line and my clan. Naturally, everyone's ancestry is a case by case basis, and indeed will vary accordingly - that is a given and is to be respected.

My wife, Stephanie, with Sandy MacLean (JSFMACLJR) wearing her rather short in length, Robertson tartan sash in ancient colours - she is extremely proud of her Scottish ancestry (Robertson of Struan).

My wife and I at our rehearsal dinner, just prior to our wedding day. We are both wearing the Macpherson red tartan in the modern colours.

Beannach'd libh,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 28th May 11 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burly Brute View Post
    My soon-to-be wife has ties with the Donalds, is it proper for me to get a couple tanks in this tartan and claim it or is that only open to her and our offspring? Thanks rabble!
    I've bolded a couple words from the OP to help me formulate an answer. It is not proper to claim the tartan of a clan that one does not belong to. Nonetheless, most clan tartans are unrestricted, so it is open to wear them.

I wear Douglas because of an aunt on my mother's side (through marriage). She's the only member of my family who was actually born in Scotland and she was instrumental in helping me gather the gear to go kilted to my high school graduation. I don't claim Douglas as my own clan but it sure is a gorgeous tartan!

That being said, now that I have a clan tartan kilt in MacQuarrie (related to my surname) as well as a couple district tartans, I'm less inclined to wear Douglas... I have thought about selling it, but it is my only 16oz kilt and I like it toooooo much
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured I'd chime in.
    I currently have a Campbell kilt on order from Celtic Croft.
    It is my wife's clan.
    Were I living in Scotland, (or visiting) I would adhere to the traditions there, but I'm in the US. I will wear it to flatter my wife, and to " in your face" the anti-Campbell sentiment in my area.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burly Brute View Post
    Aye, and this be the case in my circumstance.

I guess at the end of the day my main motive is a bit more selfish than those would assume on this forum...I just want more kilts!!!!!
    Hahaha, well said mate. I want more kilts too! And the Gow surname has some splendid looking setts with wonderful variations of shades and colours. I want them all! Hahaha! However, there is indeed a plus to this highly traditional way of thinking...'we' have a natural restriction in how many kilts in how many different tartans we will actually wear in our lifetime, you know what I mean?! If I decided to wear any tartan I fancied, oh my gosh, I would be broke all of the time and would drive myself crazy since there are soooo many to choose from!

Slainte,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    ... If I decided to wear any tartan I fancied, oh my gosh, I would be broke all of the time and would drive myself crazy since there are soooo many to choose from! ...
    hehehehe! Now there is a point I hadn't considered. Well said Sir! But it takes great willpower of which I have none. Being shallow will prove a dear doo! I must temper this Kilt obsession of mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whidbey78 View Post
    If I recall you are Clan Gunn...correct me if I'm wrong(I'm going off my unreliable memory)
    Your memory serves you quite well and very impressive!

Thanks guys. Strangely enough, being so new to the kilted world (only about a year), I find myself favoring the more traditional aspects (perhaps this is why I made the post to begin with). Since making the thread, however, I mentioned the idea to my fiance who was not too impressed (she liked the sentiment, but wasnt overly thrilled with buying another kilt per se), to say the least, so I am not losing any brownie points there! And her family isn't really into their ancestry, so no biggie there either.

So I think I will just stick with my clan and as mentioned, the universal tartans. However, I really appreciate each and every comment! Thanks guys, I don't know what I would do without your input! (As mentioned on the "leaving thread" I would probably still be in a bedsheet )

Thanks guys!

-Zach
    Last edited by Burly Brute; 30th May 11 at 06:09 PM.
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

Born in Glasgow, Scotland currently S.Yorkshire England UK and part time Gambia W Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote from Fedgunner : "I will wear it to flatter my wife, and to " in your face" the anti-Campbell sentiment in my area." Why the anti-Campbell sentiment? If it relates to that Glencoe incident some time back then I would tell them the true facts of the matter. The only Campbell to be involved was a drunken old man who was chosen to lead the English troops as a scapegoat. At the age of 60 he had only reached the rank of Captain.

I wear my Campbell tartans with pride despite having what is believed to be a French name. I have many Campbells in my line.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PEEDYC View Post
    Quote from Fedgunner : "I will wear it to flatter my wife, and to " in your face" the anti-Campbell sentiment in my area." Why the anti-Campbell sentiment? If it relates to that Glencoe incident some time back then I would tell them the true facts of the matter. The only Campbell to be involved was a drunken old man who was chosen to lead the English troops as a scapegoat. At the age of 60 he had only reached the rank of Captain.

I wear my Campbell tartans with pride despite having what is believed to be a French name. I have many Campbells in my line.
    Its interesting that this "Campbell thing" seems to be perpetuated by those outwith the UK in general and Highland Scotland in particular, whilst the modern day locals have really no issues over the past troubles.

It is true that the assorted Clan feuds and atrocities of officialdom that litter Scottish history of which Glencoe was but one, are not forgotten and rightly so, but they are not a day to day issue these days. Something that perhaps others from around this world of ours ought to take note of and perhaps emulate.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

about clan feuds... and the damn Yankees

I agree with Jock 100%-- it seems to me a matter of trying to be more Scottish than the Scots. Now that I live in America I find the same sort of thing here in the South-- families that were here during the Civil War have not forgotten what happened, but neither do they fuss over it. Unfortunately the same can not always be said about those who have only been here for a generation-- or less.

In North America most "avid" Scots are people who have only just discovered their heritage; few have the long standing traditions of Sandy, or one or two others on this Forum, whereby they grew up in their heritage. As a result they join "Clan McAvid" and latch on to a lot of romantic-- if that's the word-- misconceptions about Scotland, especially when it comes to clan feuds or the Jacobite Rebellion.

So, to all you "McAvids" out there, I have this to say: Grow Up! If you want to be upset at a Campbell, fine-- be upset if Mr. Campbell's dog craps on your lawn, not over something you "think" happened 300 years ago! The same with the Jacobite Rebellion and the "circle" of McAdvids that get stuck on this like flies on fly paper: Get over it. Your guy lost. You wanna blame some body, blame Bonnie Prince Charlie and the French. But stop all this clan feud stuff, okay?

'Cause it really makes you look foolish.

MoR
    (whose ancestor survived at Drumossie Moor, and whose Godfather's ancestor led Pearson's Horse at the same battle)
    Last edited by MacMillan of Rathdown; 29th May 11 at 03:30 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast