X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Civilian Mess Jackets

I just received a new (used) civilian mess jacket that I purchased on eBay UK. Does anyone else have one? Love them? Hate them? Indifferent? Tell me why!

I was a little concerned about the fit when I put it on because of the shortness of the waist. According to Robert MacDonald of West Coast Kilts, however, that is the way it is supposed to fit. The hem of the jacket cuts up as high as my hip bones on the sides. The back dips a bit lower, down to about the small of my back. The points on the front line up perfectly with my white paisley (subtle) waistcoat.

I've seen that Geoffrey (tailor) makes them.

And I believe Sir Lachlan MacLean has a jacket in green velvet with a very similar cut to mine. His has awesome salmon buttons though Maybe JSFMACLJR has some more pictures, but here is one to start:

Finally some pictures of my new jacket:

There are no tags inside but it appears to be wool. It has a soft, almost velvety finish. The button holes are not functional, but are actually just a line of thread. The cuffs are sort of like a gauntlet... is there a better name for these?

As an aside, the jacket came with a kilt. It is the MacDonald tartan, I don't have any connection to that clan, and its too big for me, so I'm offering it for sale at the same price I paid for it. This will also cushion the blow to my student budget Here is the link to the For Sale thread:
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...47/#post987027
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father was partial to the mess jacket when kilted; he liked them because there were no buttons in the back to get caught on dining chairs! I may have a photo of my father, brother, and self, and if I do I'll post it as it shows three distinct types of formal jackets all worn at the same event-- my brother's wedding!

As to the velvety fabric your jacket is made from, my guess is that it's doe skin, an ultra-fine wool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    My father was partial to the mess jacket when kilted; he liked them because there were no buttons in the back to get caught on dining chairs! As to the velvety fabric your jacket is made from, my guess is that it's doe skin, an ultra-fine wool.
    I agree, Mess Dress is elegant and shows Class.

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love mess dress. Always have. Somewhere in our house is a USMC mess dress blue jacket that I'm trying to find. That is how they are supposed to fit, and yes, they do feel funny for a bit, being as short as they are. Really sweet find and you sir, as always, look smashing. Honestly man, is there ANYTHING that you don't look great in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    And I believe Sir Lachlan MacLean has a jacket in green velvet with a very similar cut to mine. His has awesome salmon buttons though Maybe JSFMACLJR has some more pictures, but here is one to start:

]
    I think your mess jacket looks splendid. Good find!

Sir Lachlan Maclean of Duart's doublet is actually more of a "Prince Charlie coatee", and as such has tails in the rear, as can be seen in this photo. It is, nonetheless, a beautiful jacket.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    My father was partial to the mess jacket when kilted; he liked them because there were no buttons in the back to get caught on dining chairs! I may have a photo of my father, brother, and self, and if I do I'll post it as it shows three distinct types of formal jackets all worn at the same event-- my brother's wedding!

As to the velvety fabric your jacket is made from, my guess is that it's doe skin, an ultra-fine wool.
    I'd love to see that photo! You don't often post pics, so I'd be happy to help, if needed.

And I agree with your father about the mess jacket. The simplicity of the style is very appealing to me both practically and visually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I love mess dress. Always have. Somewhere in our house is a USMC mess dress blue jacket that I'm trying to find. That is how they are supposed to fit, and yes, they do feel funny for a bit, being as short as they are. Really sweet find and you sir, as always, look smashing. Honestly man, is there ANYTHING that you don't look great in?

Thanks Mickey. If you do find that USMC mess jacket, try it with a kilt and let us know how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    <snip>
    Sir Lachlan Maclean of Duart's doublet is actually more of a "Prince Charlie coatee", and as such has tails in the rear, as can be seen in this photo. It is, nonetheless, a beautiful jacket.
    His coatee/doublet is indeed beautiful. Thanks for the pic and the clarification!
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also a fan of the mess jacket. When I get out of the Navy--whenever that is--i plan to have my mess dress jacket's sleeve stripes removed and the gold buttons replaced. Then it will look nearly identical to yours.

I especially like the diced hose. How did you get such a good colour matching with your kilt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very smart and you wear it well. The 'white' waistcoat looks very good with it too.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Tartan View Post
    I'm also a fan of the mess jacket. When I get out of the Navy--whenever that is--i plan to have my mess dress jacket's sleeve stripes removed and the gold buttons replaced. Then it will look nearly identical to yours.

I especially like the diced hose. How did you get such a good colour matching with your kilt?
    Good call on the converted Navy mess jacket. Sound like we might be waiting a while to see that one?

As for the diced hose, it was the doing of davidlpope and I can't thank him enought! See his thread post here.
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found some Pictures on Cullinn Craft http://www.cuillinn.com/notesMay06.html of a fellow named Lance who wore the Mess dress for his wedding. I was looking to find out if it was authorized so I could do likewise without fear of reprisal. At present it isn't, for the Marines. Though in the Army and Airforce I know there are Official tartans, and are authorized for wear in uniform. the Leatherneck is not officially recognized by the Marine Corps yet. Notice here that all the other branches are wearing Kilts with Uniform Items, except the Marines. http://www.alexismalcolmkilts.com/1089/1098.html People are working on it. I still intend to have mine set up so I can wear it that way if I can smooth talk my command into it. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast