X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    I am pretty sure the staff MoR was referring to are the CATERING STAFF, or maybe I read it wrong. I have never been in a dance band, but I have been catering staff more than once. Now that you mention it, I was probably a part of a casually brought in bunch of untrained misfits some of those times. I have also waited tables.

I am pretty sure that most if us will never attend a formal event in hot weather where the waitstaff/caterers are kilted, so much of this talk may be less literal than it appears. But I stand by my advice and general desire not to look like I am working at an event where I am a guest.
    Yes, true. It's diffucult to read things here, without the benefit of vocal accentuation.

I've also done the waiting thing, and was invited to do the military thing too... neither lasted long. Funny, I guess I don't take orders very well.

Anyway, as I said, I (and my friends) have never been considered "staff" (as far as being a musician goes), but that is definitely not to say that we haven't been a casual bunch of (seemingly-untrained) misfits! ;)

Cheers,

Michael

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    I am pretty sure the staff MoR was referring to are the CATERING STAFF, or maybe I read it wrong. I have never been in a dance band, but I have been catering staff more than once. Now that you mention it, I was probably a part of a casually brought in bunch of untrained misfits some of those times. I have also waited tables.

I am pretty sure that most if us will never attend a formal event in hot weather where the waitstaff/caterers are kilted, so much of this talk may be less literal than it appears. But I stand by my advice and general desire not to look like I am working at an event where I am a guest.
    Of course, in a wardroom East of Suez, I would bet the mess stewards would be wearing jackets, while the officers wore Red Sea Rig.

Note this photo of an officer's mess steward aboard a Cunard liner:

http://wearecunard.com/wp-content/up.../04/photo1.jpg

It seems to me, if you're concerned about being mistaken for staff, Red Sea Rig isn't necessarily the way to do it. And this is no slam against staff such as the young lady pictured above; she very "ship shape and bristol fashion", and no doubt takes great pride in her deportment as well as her work.

T.
    Last edited by macwilkin; 9th June 11 at 05:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saxandpipes View Post
    "Staff"... now, now. Steady on there. Not all musicians are a casually brought-in bunch of untrained misfits. Your wee dig was subtle, but not well considered. I for one, am never "staff". I think many of my friends and colleagues would also haul you up on this Mr Rathdown, including some of my best friends, a saxophone professor at University and Head of Woodwind studies, as well as her husband, a (now retired) Squadron Leader, ex-director of the Central Band of the Royal New Zealand Airforce.

Regards!

Michael (full-time professional musician)
    MMus, BMus(Hons, first class), BMus, ATCL

I also took Scott's comment to mean the catering staff. Still, I have to say that my bandmates and I most certainly were a "casually brought-in bunch of untrained misfits" - but we sure had fun, red bow ties and all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longhuntr74 View Post
    Most kilt belts (especially the cheaper ones) are unfinished on the back side. If you are buying a kilt belt for formal wear, I would encourage you to buy one that is lined (red leather is common) or one that is custom made and has been painstakingly finished on the inside as well as the outside.
    Oh, THAT's the reason for that red lining!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saxandpipes View Post
    "Staff"... now, now. Steady on there. Not all musicians are a casually brought-in bunch of untrained misfits. Your wee dig was subtle, but not well considered. I for one, am never "staff". I think many of my friends and colleagues would also haul you up on this Mr Rathdown, including some of my best friends, a saxophone professor at University and Head of Woodwind studies, as well as her husband, a (now retired) Squadron Leader, ex-director of the Central Band of the Royal New Zealand Airforce.

Regards!

Michael (full-time professional musician)
    MMus, BMus(Hons, first class), BMus, ATCL

er... I was referring to the catering staff. Sorry if you got it wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    er... I was referring to the catering staff. Sorry if you got it wrong.
    No worries,

Apology accepted

Cheers!

Michael

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678