X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flogging Molly - Speed of Darkness

Flogging Molly released a new album - Speed of Darkness - on May 31, 2011. Available everywhere.

The reviews I've seen have been very good.
    SPEED OF DARKNESS is an album for our times, a portrait of America painted by the bleak tones of Detroit, Michigan. Fueled by the urban decay found rampant throughout the current home city of vocalist/songwriter Dave King and his wife and bandmate Bridget Regan, the record balances depression with optimism.
    Kikaxemusic full review

Flogging Molly have always focused on the struggles of the working man in their Celtic-influenced punk rock, so it makes sense that they would turn in one of their best records yet in the wake of a worldwide economic downturn. On Speed of Darkness, the Los Angeles band's fifth studio album, the group speak up for those who have lost their jobs and speak against the greed of wealthy CEOs.
    Rolling Stone review

My review? Meh. I'm old enough to remember U2 from their early days, before Bono decided he alone could change the world with a pair of outsized amber glasses. Remember Boy and "I will follow", and then War (we can all agree to skip over October) with "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day"?

I see a little of this in FM's latest. While they may have always written with the common man in mind, Speed of Darkness is a little too preachy and Detroit/US-centric to my taste. Salty Dog, Selfish Man and Devil's Dance Floor had me jumping in the aisles when I saw them. They previewed "Don't Shut 'em Down" at the same show and I decided mid-chorus that it might be the right time for a washroom break.

YMMV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just downloaded it off Itunes last night. Looking forward to listening to it today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I don't know how this flew under my radar. I'm downloading it from Amazon right now and will post my own review later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how i missed this either. I'm gonna have to wait until Friday to get it. Id like to see others reviews (although ill get it regardless). I'm gonna buy it on cd i just like having something solid for my money. But i love the band and i have met a few of them and they were really great guys (i say guys because i didn't get to meet Bridget)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They played a few from it at the concert I saw last month. Not sure of the titles, but I do remember they were pretty good. The crowd was really into them.
    "When I wear my Kilt, God looks down with pride and the Devil looks up with envy." --Unknown
    Proud Chief of Clan Bacon. You know you want some!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying it's all bad. Saints and Sinners is the most "FM-like" track on the album and I like it very much.

I just said that it's much more Detroit/US-centric. I guess Dave has made the transition from the desolation of Beggars Bush and his childhood there (he talks about it extensively on the companion DVD to Whiskey on a Sunday) to the new deprivations seen at Woodward and 8 Mile and he wanted to write songs about his new home. But Eminem has done that too.

Maybe this is the "earnest" album that most bands put out during a career?
    Last edited by Bing; 2nd June 11 at 10:44 AM. Reason: deleted a point in editing pre-post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the tshirt at the st. patricks day concert that came with the CD and downloaded it last night, havent been able to hear it yet (other than at the concert)...but now I am super interested!!
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I listened to it briefly this morning, and I have to say I like it, but don't love it. To be fair, I said the same thing about Float when it first came out, but now I absolutely love Float. This album is more like Float but with even less Irish-Trad influence. More mainstream for sure. Not quite as lively. So yeah, I would like this album if it was a random band I just heard, but it is not what I'd expect from Flogging Molly.

Dropkick's new album, on the other hand....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beloitpiper View Post
    Ok, so I listened to it briefly this morning, and I have to say I like it, but don't love it. To be fair, I said the same thing about Float when it first came out, but now I absolutely love Float. This album is more like Float but with even less Irish-Trad influence. More mainstream for sure. Not quite as lively. So yeah, I would like this album if it was a random band I just heard, but it is not what I'd expect from Flogging Molly.

Dropkick's new album, on the other hand....
    Dropkick's new album ROCKS hard. I actually DIDN'T buy the new F/M album yet... after listening to the previews on iTunes I just don't know.

I'll probably end up buying it after a few more listens, but it's not LOVE like some of their earlier stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright just finished listening to the album. It gets much better at the half way point. Saints and Sinners, A Prayer For Me In Silence and Rise Up are all excellent FM songs. Can see this album growing on me more and more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast