X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traditional Tie garters question

When making and in turn wearing tied garters, is there an advantage to the all garter stitch or the stockinette? I understand that the garter stitch provide a more elastic type of construction but is that so very important in the end product of this type of accessory since the knitted garter is also flat and comfortable? The preferred width in a hand knit garter? 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 inches?

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okiwen,

In all that has been going on since meeting you at the Victoria Highland Games I forgot to post the picture we took.

Here is kiltedwolfman, myself, macman, and Okiwen.

Thank you for stopping by and introducing yourself. I hope you got to meet more of the rabble during your stay in Victoria. I wish we had had more time to get to know you.

If you ever make it out this way again the coffee is on me.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by okiwen View Post
    When making and in turn wearing tied garters, is there an advantage to the all garter stitch or the stockinette? I understand that the garter stitch provide a more elastic type of construction but is that so very important in the end product of this type of accessory since the knitted garter is also flat and comfortable? The preferred width in a hand knit garter? 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 inches?
    I've done it both ways, and both ways are good for different reasons/effects. If you do them in garter stitch, they will be more elastic, and while that extra elasticity can be good, it's really not necessary; this stitch will also keep them flat. With stockinette, your garters will curl into a tube, and can be tied on as is, or flattened out to look more like the store bought garter ties.

In looking at some period paintings, I think the tubular garters may have sometimes been used back in the day, especially when a more fancy knot was desired on the outside of the hose.
    Last edited by Ryan Ross; 8th June 11 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get your knitter to make the garters a couple of inches extra-long and a little bit too wide, you can felt them, which will eliminate most of the stretchiness and make them fuzzy. It wouldn't matter if they were stockinette or garter, since felting relaxes the curl that happens on the edges of stockinette.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdbh View Post
    If you get your knitter to make the garters a couple of inches extra-long and a little bit too wide, you can felt them, which will eliminate most of the stretchiness and make them fuzzy. It wouldn't matter if they were stockinette or garter, since felting relaxes the curl that happens on the edges of stockinette.

...but it will make them very, very warm to wear. Good for winter, bad for summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the knitter, so I can get me to do anything that is best. I just don't want to spend days knitting something that won't work well and someone will say "well, no kidding. everybody knows that won't work" or as I suspect, if it is felted then will be too thick.

Ryan, you found that the stockinette still worked ok even if it rolled?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by okiwen View Post
    Ryan, you found that the stockinette still worked ok even if it rolled?
    Oh yeah. It makes a nice, neat looking tube; I test tied them, before sending them to the customer, using two different methods, and thought they were comfortable, good looking, and functional both ways.

See here:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I have a few to make for friends and I can make the stockinette on a machine and the garter stitch has to be done by hand. I don't know anyone that has a garter bar for their machines.

As has been said so many times, I like your bonnets and see that you have the making of them down to a science. Well done.