X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForresterModern View Post
    I have just one more Douglas that I desire a kilt in, namely weathered Douglas by Lochcarron. . .
    That, in 16-oz. fabric, is exactly what I'm wearing in this pic from May 11, which was a chilly and windy day. Love it!
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    I recall a picture of you in your Douglas Brown, but I could have sworn I saw another of you in a Douglas Modern, too. Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing your collection of clan kilts. We'll all be blinded by the splendor. ;)

Great minds do think alike. I've been mentally resisting Douglas Reproduction tartan from Dalgliesh. Love the sett and the colors.
    I do have a Douglas inexpensive off the rack machine sewn 8yd PV in Modern but rarely wear it as it is just not as good a fit as the custom made ones I have in the same closet. It has never been photo'd or posted here. I have the Douglas Ancient (16oz MM Jura), Douglas Brown (15oz Dalgleish), Douglas Black Modern (11oz Dalgleish), and Ancient Red Douglas (15oz Douglas), and the tartan to send off for the Weathered Douglas in 16oz Lochcarron as a near future project, hopefully by years end or the spring.

I would love to see the Reproduction Douglas from Dalgleish if you ever get it done. Pics are a must.

I find it interesting that the regular predonimantly blue and green Douglas tartan, which if I remember my history is supposed to be the remnants of the original Black Douglas line of the family (as opposed to the "Red" Douglas line), uses the prominent white stripe, while the "Black Douglas" I have uses a prominent red stripe, and the Red Douglas I have has an identical sett/threadcount utilizing a totally different color palette of red, grey, black, white and yellow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember a picture of your closet hung with lots of kilts. Perhaps I saw it then ... or perhaps I'm just imagining it.

I have no clue as to why the similarity that you describe between the Douglas Red and Black exists. As you no doubt know, the SRT only states that the source of the Douglas, Black was John Wright of Edinburgh. I don't know if that means he was the designer or that he dug it up out of the peat moss. ;-)

My son commissioned Kathy Lare to sew a Douglas (WCWM), because he loves the color combo - red, gray, black. It's a gorgeous kilt.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12