X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    I'd suggest simply removing the date range:

Traditional Highland Dress:
    The place for discussion of Traditional and Classic Highland Apparel and Style.
    Yes, me too.

I note that the silence from the powers that be on this subject that has been aired fairly comprehensively now and might I add courteously throughout, is almost deafening.I would be interested on their thoughts on this matter.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th June 11 at 10:53 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Looks good to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you entirely remove the date range, what would differentiate the Traditional sub-forum (by whatever name it is called) from the Historical Highland Attire sub-forum?

Perhaps I am wrong, but most of the norms of what is deemed traditional attire on this forum date from the time period indicated in the current title of the sub-forum. So, while the date range might not please everyone, it does serve an honest purpose.

If the title is to be changed to avoid confusion or conflict with another sub-forum, do so without creating a similar situation with a third sub-forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    Me too!
    Definitely, me as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle1 View Post
    If you entirely remove the date range, what would differentiate the Traditional sub-forum (by whatever name it is called) from the Historical Highland Attire sub-forum?

Perhaps I am wrong, but most of the norms of what is deemed traditional attire on this forum date from the time period indicated in the current title of the sub-forum. So, while the date range might not please everyone, it does serve an honest purpose.

If the title is to be changed to avoid confusion or conflict with another sub-forum, do so without creating a similar situation with a third sub-forum.
    I think most people understand the difference between "historical" and "traditional".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Yes, me too.

I note that the silence from the powers that be on this subject that has been aired fairly comprehensively now and might I add courteously throughout, is almost deafening.I would be interested on their thoughts on this matter.
    Yes, their silence on this matter has been very loud...

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle1 View Post

In a nutshell, THCD is still very much current. Also, the tradition did not begin suddenly with the reign of Edward VII nor did it stop in the 1980's.

The date ranges are more apt for the Historical and Modern sub-forums, so the timeline should remain in their descriptions. In this way and taken as a whole, the How To Wear The Kilt sub-forums would have a date range without pigeonholing THCD inaccurately.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After following the discussion here and in the THCD sub-forum discussion, it seems to me that we're discussing two approaches to the term 'traditional'.

The first is from a date-delimited direction. The idea of a 'traditional' item/appearance has a specific time at which it begins and at which it ends. This appears to be the current definition – as stated in the sub-forum heading - for the THCD sub-forum, and was apparently Steve's intent when he set it up, as he further explains in this post.

The other is from a style direction. "Traditional" clothing options - both Highland and 'Saxon' - are more conservative, 'classic' or 'timeless', if you will. While being 'traditional', the clothing styles nonetheless change, but at a slower pace than the fashion-forward trends.

For example, the "traditional business suit" has been a jacket (or coat, if you prefer) and trousers for a couple of centuries. The cut and fit of the cloth and the accessories worn (waistcoat or no, length and style of neckwear, width of the lapels, etc.) has changed as styles come and go, but everyone recognizes that it's a business suit. If this were a suit forum, I don't think anyone would relegate discussion of the traditional business suit to a single time period, unless they were referring to a specific historical aspect.

It also appears to me that the Traditional and Modern sub-forums, through common usage, are following this second approach, even though the stated intent was for both conservative and more recent trends (different cuts of kilts, different accessories, etc.) to be discussed in the Modern sub-forum.

I would support removing the date delineation from the 'Traditional' sub-forum, as that is not consistent with the postings found within.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a little insulting that this issue didn't even get one word from a mid or owner. It's not like the forum will crumble with a change to the wording but many will continue to be mislead by the title description and this conversation will come up again. It's a simple fix to think of wording that doesn't mislead or confuse.

Let YOUR utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how you ought to give an answer to each one.
    Colossians 4:6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowher View Post
    <snip> many will continue to be mislead by the title description and this conversation will come up again.
    Case in point:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-tartan-67492/
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The staff have followed this discussion with interest and are currently in a dialog in the Moderators forum.

Your patience is appreciated.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast