X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Value Kilts from J. Higgins

Does anyone have any experience with these? I own 3 tanks made by J. Higgins, Ltd, and love them dearly. I'm looking for something that I can wear more casually and be a little less gingerly with. I used to do a lot of country dancing, but now that I'm "too busy" to do that, I'd just like to wear the kilt anytime without worrying as much about keeping my formalwear kilts so pristine. I saw that these are custom-made, but was wondering if they'r a good deal. I own a sport kilt, and as fun as that is in 100-degree weather, I don't care how many yards of that you have, it'll never wear like I want it to. I'm thinking perhaps a 4 yard wool kilt would be best, but thought I'd just check out the more economical (so I can have plenty of them) option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Value Kilts from J. Higgins

I'm surprised that you got no response to your inquiry. Do you have any idea why that might be?

Does anyone out there have any idea why that might be?!

I have bought accessories from J. Higgins and always been pleased with them and the service I received.

I have no idea about their kilts, but I have sidled up to the notion of trying one out, particularly one of their PV offerings. I was encouraged by reading your comments on their tanks. Tanks!
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Mookien,

I did receive a PM from a member who had spoken with someone at J. Higgins. He was wondering what mill they get the fabric from. While John Higgins does not give sources for his fabric, I can tell you his wool kilts are quite good. I own three of his tanks, and have enjoyed them for years.

My guess is that it's Marton Mills PV, which I believe to be quality material. SOmeone else could confirm that.

Thanks!
    Jared the Brus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jared: Since my last posting, I spoke with my brother and pointed out your OP to him. Both of us regard it as very odd that no posts directly addressed your question. Usually requests for opinions are met with responses of all kinds - good, bad, and indifferent.

My brother basically confirmed what you wrote. Both his son, and a good friend of his, have owned J. Higgins wool kilts for years and are very happy with them.

But, like us he doesn't know anything about the J. Higgins PV line. Their web pages state that the material is imported from the United Kingdom, so it may very well come from Martin Mills.

Hopefully, someone with direct knowledge will share it and/or their opinion with us.

Cheers.
    John
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their product description also says that the fabric is teflon coated. So, PV, teflon coated, made in UK...it appears to be walking and talking a lot like a duck.

They are a reliable retailer here in the US so I would be willing to bet that their material is in fact Marton Mills PV, but i don't have any personal experience or way to prove that. Their prices are quite reasonable as well, especially considering that they use belt and buckle closures vs. velcro.

If I needed a low yardage PV kilt I would certainly give them a look.

Best of luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too bought my first kilt from J.Higgins-a wool tank back when I was 19. So when these first came out for 80$ I got one in MacKay Ancient.
    In front of me, it has 20 pleats to it, plus the reverse pleat to the right with no lining. It has the same quality buckles and straps as their woolen Kilts. The only, and I mean only, flaw with it is that the stitching on the right-side of the apron (the doubling on the inside by the fringe) is slightly noticable on the outside from waist to selvedge-though, they may not have been used to working with such thin material like the pv at first-that's my guess; I dont think much of it, otherwise I would've sent it back afterall.
    I wore mine constantly through the summer heat here and is very cool as it is so light but heavy enough for modesty's sake. The kilt is definately coated: after my daughter was born this year she tested it several times by spitting up all over it. It has held up to everything plus washings, each time coming out just as if new. I adore this kilt. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's good information. I appreciate your insight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just received my value kilt from the same company. I am very happy with it. However, it does raise a few questions, primarily why it costs a bill less than many competitors. Maybe its the craftsmanship? Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic kilt and I love mine. I also have a tank from them and I can tell a few differences in the stitching, i.e. exposed stitches. For the money though, you won't go wrong.

Eric

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but I missed this thread. Hmm, wonder why? Anyway, I bought their 'value kilt' in the Navy Stewart. For the money, it's a good kilt for pub use and kicking around, but it is not a tank!! Obviously, the cost tells you that.

As for the material, I'm almost positive that it's Marton Mills PV; same that Rocky uses in his casual and semi-trad kilts. It holds up very well.

Now, for the fit: I ordered it online, and then got a phone call. The salesperson said that they did not have to make me one, as they had the exact kilt on stock, in my size. That was odd. How many companies have stock kilts in my size? Not anyone! So, when I received the kilt, I found out that it was not quite my size...too big in the waist. However, the hem was done to my length. I could have contacted Higgins, as I'm sure they would have taken care of me. Their customer service is very good. But, the hassle of sending it back and waiting wasn't worth it to me, so I just kept it and had my better half move the buckles. Now it fits pretty good. For the money, this is a decent 'value!'