X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: They laughed.

Cilted Traveler and Minstrel
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They laughed.

Some friends of ours from abroad have been to see us. They asked if we could take them to the National Showcaves in the Swansea Valley ... Dan yr Ogof is cave, a great tourist attraction.
    They dressed according to the weather on the day we went (which was warm n sunny), I dressed as per pic. They thought I was mad lol. Nothing to do with the cilt but the sweater. It gets mighty chilly in caves after a short period of time. I was snug n warm, they all had goosepimples and grateful to get back outside after an hour in the showcaves.. lol..
    I did take the sweater off after the cave mind you.
    Talking of sweaters, anyone else into sweaters/pullovers n cilts/kilts.

Iechyd Da
    Derek
    A Proud Welsh Cilt Wearer

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I used to go caving (not hard-core, but crawling more than the average tourist), I was somewhat bemused by people going into a cave wearing shorts, tank tops and flip-flops and looking at me coming out wearing long pants, boots, at least two shirts - one long sleeve, and usually flannel (and usually covered in mud/dirt from crawling). The expression is priceless.

Most people don't remember their grade school science or history. Most caves stay at a relatively constant temperature year-round, with maybe 5-10 degrees (F) fluctuation. Things underground usually stay cooler in the spring/summer than those aboveground and vice versa in the winter (northern hemisphere). That's why folks would have root cellars under the house/nearby to keep food stuffs.

As far as wearing a sweater with the kilt, I haven't yet. I don't often get an opportunity to wear my kilt casually. (I prefer to wear my 16 oz. - the only kilt I have - on special occasions).
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it was the fact that you were wearing a sweater, but that sweater in particular. It does look a little odd. The thing on the shoulders make it stand away from the body at an odd angle and when I looked at the picture that is what I saw first.
    That's all I can say.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been known to wear a pullover(sweater) with the kilt from time to time. The "wooly pully" style like the one you are wearing Derek, is perfect for the job.

" Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Military Type Sweater

I have a black, former military, sweater that I wear sometimes in the winter.
    It is quite comfortable and I think it looks good also.

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple cable knit sweaters that I like to pair with my kilt when it's cooler. Being in the military, I also have a couple of sweaters just like the one you are wearing...

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like sweaters with the kilt. When I was in the military, I wore my wooly pully once. It was the itchiest thing I ever put on, but I like the look of them. I'll have to see if they changed the material since then.

Here is a pic of the very first time I wore a kilt. It was a very cold day, even though I was carrying 40 more pounds of insulation than I do now. Even though I didn't know much of anything, I knew that I liked how sweaters looked with it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    But of course.... Mind you, this photo was taken in December. At the moment, it's about 35 degrees C. I'm sitting on the sofa wearing very little but my skin, and drinking COPIOUS quantities of light beer to keep cool...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkrose View Post
    I don't think it was the fact that you were wearing a sweater, but that sweater in particular. It does look a little odd. The thing on the shoulders make it stand away from the body at an odd angle and when I looked at the picture that is what I saw first.
    That's all I can say.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I personally like that style of wool sweater and I think Derek looks good. The epaulettes on the shoulders have a military flavor that pairs nicely with the kilt, or in this case cilt. The ones I've found at the thrift store (never in my size ) always seem to have a windproof liner on them. Is that common?

As for me and sweaters, sure!

Casual but still a bit smart:

Cold weather:
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I have this one from Wool Overs, in Derby Tweed. It's a lot of heavy wool, and just the thing for a chilly, windy, and foggy summer stroll atop the sea-cliffs just north of San Francisco.

I really appreciate the fitting guidance the company gives. As I mentioned, it's a heavy jumper and the fabric will "relax" after being worn just a bit; so if you don't follow their guidance it's easy to get one that seems fine when you first put it on but, after a few hours, is obviously too large.

BTW, I also love the price on this one.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast