X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you like to have a "Chat" application added to XMarksthescot?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • No I would not use it.

3 25.00%
  • Maybe It could be interesting.

1 8.33%
  • Yes but it must be moderated and for members only.

6 50.00%
  • Yes but it must be open to "Guests" and moderated

0 0%
  • Yes and it should not be moderated.

2 16.67%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a Chat connection would be a nice function.

This question/suggestion may have already been posted here.

I have noticed that at any given times there may be up to 100 people on line at once. A great number of them are "Guests" but quite a few are regular members. It would be nice to have a "Chat room" where one could go and share a good "blather" with the any number of the Rabble who wish to relax and chat with each other. Information could be shared, ideas could be exchanged, questions asked and answered and friendships could develop. Travel to events, cities, areas and countries could be arranged.
    I know this would put a strain on the already overworked Staff as it would also require volunteer "Moderators" to control the chatters.
    I know I would be more willing to act as a moderator and I am sure others would also help.

Is there any interest out there?
    Lang may your lum reek and a wee mouse never leaves your cupboard with a tear in its eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use such a feature from time to time. Go for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be useful to some of us, and some would never use it. One forum I go to occasionally has one, but you can turn it of through the user CP and the whole function disappears from view and your name never shows up on the "available to chat" list.

From what I understand from Steve Ashton's posts on other threads, the current software is modified as much as it can be--nothing new can be added, or at least nothing of that scope. From his posts it also seems that upgrading to a new system won't happen until something comes along that can handle the forum as-is, without giving up any current functions, and can also handle added functions such as chat or IM, mobile access(like facebook uses) and other doodads. Maybe someday we can have it all.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Skype. It is free and it is easy. You can have up to 5 people at a time all chatting together. The advantage is that it is off XMarks (and off all other programmes). This means that someone can point out a thread on XMarks (or elsewhere), you can read it and post a reply while still chatting to your caller. I have answered emails, posted replies on XMarks and held a conversation on Facebook at the same time as I have been chatting to Alex in Scotland!

You can switch the camera off, if you happen to look less than your best and you can switch yourself off to show that you are away or unavailable.

Oh, did I mention that it is free?

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I use Skype. It is free and it is easy. You can have up to 5 people at a time all chatting together. The advantage is that it is off XMarks (and off all other programmes). This means that someone can point out a thread on XMarks (or elsewhere), you can read it and post a reply while still chatting to your caller. I have answered emails, posted replies on XMarks and held a conversation on Facebook at the same time as I have been chatting to Alex in Scotland!

You can switch the camera off, if you happen to look less than your best and you can switch yourself off to show that you are away or unavailable.

Oh, did I mention that it is free?

Regards

Chas

IRC is free too, designed for MULTI-user chat, and many sites use it to supplement functions on their sites. I'm thinking #XMTS on Freenode would be a great place. There are many Java-based IRC clients available to bring it in to the website a bit.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our current vBulletin software package does not have a chat function.
    The newer ver 4.0 does not either.

This would make our only option a chat program outside and separate of the forum.
    I know some use the chat feature of facebook and there is the X Marks facebook page.

There are two after market chat programs which can be tied to the forum but as has been pointed out we currently have so many add-ons to the forum that it is making it hard to keep de-bugged.

If a chat was ever built in to vBulletin I would consider it but for now I'm afraid it will have to stay on our wish list.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Steve. I bow to your expertise in this. I recognize it takes a lot of work and dedication to run a chat application. I did this back in the early 70's when I was much younger, however as some have suggested maybe a place we could meet, skype, IRC, Facbook etc can filll this function. It would be ice to be able to chat with others.
    Thank you Steve for looking into this.
    I will put more thought on this. Thanks for the guys who did take the time to respond to this post.
    Regards
    Lang may your lum reek and a wee mouse never leaves your cupboard with a tear in its eye.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any member who wishes to be contacted by Skype or other messenger service can enter their information in their public profile.

to see if anyone is available simply click on the 'forums' tab at the top of any page.
    Then scroll down to the bottom and click on "currently active users". You can see small icons of those services each member has currently active.

I use Skype quite a bit and have had some wonderful video chats with members from all over the globe.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are an inspiration to all the members Steve. Your dedication dose not go unrecognized. Thank you Lad.
    I will be looking you up to order my next Kilt. Victoria Tartan. Even if it a special order. I love that design.