X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

solid color great kilts

would there have been solid color great kilts, or would they have been a plaid type pattern, not tartan but plaid.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clan campbell View Post
    would there have been solid color great kilts, or would they have been a plaid type pattern, not tartan but plaid.
    the word plaid is often misunderstood, generally in the UK it means a long length of tartan wrapped over the shoulder,and never as the actual design of tartan, In the States it can mean either, which leads to confusion.

So the answer to your question, I'm sure there could well be plain coloured , tweedy fabrics and tartan great kilts, but in this instance your use of the words tartan and plaid are exactly the same!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right, when i say plaid i mean like different patterns of color in the material as opposed to a clan tartan, but yes your right and alright
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Mat Newsome has posted a picture of an old, old painting of a person wearing a belted plaid that is a solid color; blue, if I remember correctly. I will have to dig up my old thread to find the details. Someone else will probably cough up the picture before I find it.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, copied and pasted from my thread, "Traditional Solid Color Kilts and Definitions"
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...nitions-51672/
    Here's what Matt Newsome said:

But as for simply "non-tartan" kilts, those have been around for as long as the kilt itself, and are very traditional. It has never been a requirement
    that a kilt be made from tartan, and though tartan has always been the most popular cloth for making kilts, other options have always been there.

The earliest evidence we have of a solid color kilt is in a portrait of Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochow painted in 1635 (recently posted in the historic
    portrait thread). He's wearing a solid red feilidh-mor.
    Guess it was red rather than blue. The thread has an interesting line of discussion, too.

* Sorry, I had to do some fast editing to get the picture address to copy.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 11th July 11 at 01:50 AM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Bugbear, you beat me to it! So yes, we have at least one historic example of a person being depicted in a solid colored belted plaid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clan campbell View Post
    right, when i say plaid i mean like different patterns of color in the material as opposed to a clan tartan, but yes your right and alright
    ...tartan is always the correct word for bilaterally symmetrical crosshatched fabric patterns of Scottish origin, whether they are named (modern clan, district, personal, etc. tartans), or unnamed (as all tartans were in yesteryear- the naming of tartans has really just become stylish in the last two hundred years or so). But yes, "plaid" originally refered only to a garment, wheras "tartan" refers to the pattern in the cloth. Just wanted to drive that home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the reason i asked this was cause i bought a solid colour double width wool and i was wondering how traditional it would be, cause i cant afford a Campbell ancient great kilt at the moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be historical rather than traditional all around.

But you have a primary source to justify the choice, thanks to Matt. If it were red cloth, you would be even more justified, going by the painting; looking at the names...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast