X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Srathclyde Police

i am shore this has been posted before, or at the very least most members have seen it. but wow i think this is the best piping i have ever heard!! and i love the first part of the medley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOjH...yer_detailpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could someone identify the tunes they played?
    The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
    "With Your Shield or On It!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its, The Delmenhorst Standoff. and its freckn BADA@# sorry i really like it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know nothing about pipe bands, but am I to assume that the piper front left in the video is the director, but the drum captain (bass drum) is actually conducting or cuing the group when set up in a configuration like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I agree with you, R.S.L., that tune really :buttkick: !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WBHenry View Post
    I know nothing about pipe bands, but am I to assume that the piper front left in the video is the director, but the drum captain (bass drum) is actually conducting or cuing the group when set up in a configuration like this?
    i don't know anything about the dynamic of pipe bands ether, just been a musician most of my life and when i listen to pipe bands i just look away and listen to the tone and the music. but there are member's of band's on here hopefully one can answer your question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as i am aware, the piper front left as you look at them head on is the pipe major, he is the one in charge of evrybody out there. The bass drum keeps the beat. Watch the pipe majors foot, the bass drummer is watching the foot to keep the tempo where it needs to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. PM sets the tempo, but not every piper can see the PM's foot. We can all hear the drum, though!
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles Martel when you need him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strathclyde Police 2005 medley

This video is of the medley competiton at the "Worlds". The World Pipe Band Championships that is. The bands play in two competitions, one is the MSR (march, strathspey & reel) and the other is a medley which can contain any type of tune (i.e. march, hornpipes, jigs, slow airs, etc..)

This is the medley and the the tunes are:

Medley: The Delmenhorst Standoff - Michael MacDonald's Jig - The Humours of Whisky - Song For Shona - The Strathspey King - Miss Victoria Ross - Lady Margaret Stewart - Puert a Buel - The Noose In the Ghillies

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the Pipe Major "conducts" the band with his fingers and his foot. Many of the pipers will be watching his fingers the entire time to lock in, in as perfect unison as possible.

Some PMs insist that all the pipers watch his fingers, some do not. Some pipers, including in Grade One bands, stare off into space or play with their eyes closed, listening rather than watching.

The three people who most need to be "on the same page" are the PM, the "lead tip", and the bass drummer. The lead tip is the leader of the snare corps and he is entirely focused on being in complete agreement with the PM. The rest of the snare drummers are focused on being in unison with the lead tip.

One major change that's been happening in pipe band music over the last decade or so is the increase in the size, complexity, and musical importance of the "midsection".

When I started in pipe bands in the 1970s the tenor drummers had little musical value and mostly were there for visual show, doing their fancy "swinging".

Nowadays pipe bands have a large number of tenor drums tuned to various notes and the midsection scores are quite complex, often following the harmonic structure of the pipe tunes. Some tenor drummers have plastic tubing going from their mouth to a hole in the side of the drum allowing them to change the internal pressure of the drum and therefore its pitch.

Also Grade One pipe bands have been increasing in size recently, some now going into the circle with 25 to 30 pipers, a dozen snare drums, 8 or so tenor drums of various pitches, and even two bass drums tuned to different notes. Quite a change from the 1960s when a band could be competitive with 10 pipers.

It's wonderful that the BBC streams the World Pipe Band Championships live worldwide each year. It's a "must see" for pipe band people.

Here's a taste or overview of The Worlds live broadcast, with its commentary. At 6:16 you can see the tenor drummer's plastic tubing and shortly afterwards hear the effect of the tenor drum changing pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bj7W_v6TGE
    Last edited by OC Richard; 14th July 11 at 05:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast