X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help if possible

Anyone know anything about "McHatton"? Have been looking for info for quite a while, don't have much in the way of funds. I do know this: My Great Grandfather was John McHatton, the Maine census lists his country of origin as follows: Ireland (Scotland) I take that to mean "by way of" My much older cousins tell me they heard my Dad talk about us being from Glasgow, but that is a bit on the foggy side...
    They came down thru New Brunswick to Maine in the mid - late 1800's

Have tried MacGillicatten, McIlhatten, Hatton, etc. Not sure which to turn,(or which way is up, for that matter.

Closest Clan I think I may be with is the Clan Chattan Confederation, with Mackintosh at it's head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray,

If you haven't already, try www.familysearch.org

If you have some dates and names, you'd be surprised what you'll find....

I suspect that what you found as country of origin really refers to the Scots-Irish...Mostly protestant Scots who settled in Northern Ireland before dispersing to other parts of the world.

Good luck..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ray,

I have a list of some 30,000 surnames and the septs or clans to which they could belong or with which they are associated.

I have an entry for MacHatton as a sept of, or associated with Clan Chatton. I have no entry for McHatton, but as we all know,

"Spelling is an adventure, not a Science!"

So MacHatton, Machatton, McHatton, Mchatton, M'Hatton and M'hatton are all the same and just variations of each other.

I think you are quite right, the Clan Chatton Confederation is your clan.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much, Chas. I appreciate you looking into that for me. I belong to the Clan Chattan Assoc UK & the Clan Mackintosh of NA. Have been involved in this for about 8 yrs. Looks like I landed in the right place afterall!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clan Chattan seems to be a likely choice but the Scottish Tartans Authority also links the name to MacDonald.

Black in his well regarded tome "The Surnames of Scotland" offers 3 likely origins

1 De Hatun
    2. Hattoun
    3. a curtailed form of MacIlhatton - Kintyre and Argyllshire which would explain the MacDonald link.

Good luck with your search.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ray,

I have just discovered this. Whether it muddies the waters for you or not I don't know.

Hatton

This is either an English or an Irish surname. If English it originates from any of the various places called Hatton in the counties of Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, and Warwickshire. The derivation is from the Olde English pre 7th century word "hoed" meaning heathland and "tun", a farm or settlement. As a surname it was generally given to people who left their original Hatton village, and moved elsewhere. The easiest form of identification being to call people by the name of the place from whence they came.

In Ireland the origination is quite different. The name originates from the pre 10th century Gaelic (Mac Giolla) Chatain, a clan whose members were followers of St. Catan, an early saint whose memory was revered in the country. The surname is mainly found in the Ulster counties of Antrim and Derry. Early examples of the surname recordings from both countries include: John Hatton, who was christened at St. Stephan's church, Coleman Street,city of London, on February 2nd 1547, and Jane Hatton who was christened at St. Margaret's, Westminster, in May 1562. In Ireland Patricke Hatton, the son of Thomas Hatton, was christened at Derry Cathedral on March 1st 1656, whilst John Hatton, aged 21, was a "famine emigrant" who sailed on the ship "Adam-Carr" bound for New York on June 23rd 1846. One of the earliest recording of the family name was that of Sir Christopher Hatton, (1540 - 1591), during the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1st of England, 1558-1603. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop," often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
    Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stumbled across this great tool that shows the McHatton family distribution throughout Scotland in the years 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, through 1921. I found it interesting that the distribution in the earlier years are in the shires closest to the Irish sea. Save the link because you can search for other names by typing them in at the top of the page. Have fun. http://www.ancestry.com/facts/McHatt...story-sct.ashx
    Scotland is only 1/5 the size of Montana, but Scotland has over 3,000 castles and Montana has none.