X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdbh View Post
    Not to derail this thread, but could you elaborate a bit on this "rat bashing" business? It looks like it would be a lot of fun.
    Before I answer your question, THE TIE, if my eyes don't deceive me, is Black Watch.

Right then, "Bashing the Rat" is non technical and easy to set up bit of fun. The "rat" is dropped down the pipe----gravity takes over--- and some one is waiting at the bottom with a "basher". Should the "Rat" suffer a blow, then a prize is won. So, for example, you may pay £1 for five goes and should a "hit" occur a small prize will be won. Its not easy!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Before I answer your question, THE TIE is Black Watch.

Right then, "Bashing the Rat" is non technical and easy to set up bit of fun. The "rat" is dropped down the pipe----gravity takes over--- and some one is waiting at the bottom with a "basher". Should the "Rat" suffer a blow, then a prize is won.
    Ah-ha. In my little corner of the world we'd probably call it "Pound the 'Possum", Thanks, Jock.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I joined this forum, I would have bet my last dollar against someone telling me a striped or checked shirt would work with a kilt. I thouroughly enjoy looking at threads like these to see what actually does work and it is fascinating.
    To that end, I have purchased a tattersall shirt to go with my newest kilt from John @ Keltoi. It is to be unveiled at my sisters wedding in August.
    A heartfelt thanks to all who have broadened my horizons!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    Before I joined this forum, I would have bet my last dollar against someone telling me a striped or checked shirt would work with a kilt. I thouroughly enjoy looking at threads like these to see what actually does work and it is fascinating.
    To that end, I have purchased a tattersall shirt to go with my newest kilt from John @ Keltoi. It is to be unveiled at my sisters wedding in August.
    A heartfelt thanks to all who have broadened my horizons!!
    Be carefull, there is a time and a place to wear a tattersall shirt, or any style of shirt, and many would suggest a wedding is not the time, or, the place for the tattersall, unless the happy event is very informal.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right then, "Bashing the Rat" is non technical and easy to set up bit of fun. The "rat" is dropped down the pipe----gravity takes over--- and some one is waiting at the bottom with a "basher". Should the "Rat" suffer a blow, then a prize is won. So, for example, you may pay £1 for five goes and should a "hit" occur a small prize will be won. Its not easy!
    Are they live?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galician View Post
    Are they live?
    No!

The "rats" are cloth and stuffed with something like sawdust. The chap "loading" the pipe usually has a "special rat" loaded with lead shot, or some such, in his pocket, just in case an expert "basher" turns up and gets too good! If you look at the picture you will see a pile of "rats" on the ground below the pipe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be carefull, there is a time and a place to wear a tattersall shirt, or any style of shirt, and many would suggest a wedding is not the time, or, the place for the tattersall, unless the happy event is very informal.

Thanks Jock, that part I do understand. It is an informal event to be held in my backyard.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    Thanks Jock, that part I do understand. It is an informal event to be held in my backyard.
    That's good.

Like many things in life, these things are down to personal choice, experience and is just a matter of degree really. Many traditional Highlanders would be more than happy to wear a tattersall shirt or small gingham checks to a Highland games, Clan gathering, to lunch, going to town, and perhaps some business meetings, or even a quiet dinner with the wife--that sort of thing. So a fair range. I think that for example,a graduation,or, a wedding of the slightly more formal kind than yours in the back yard(I hope you don't mind me putting it that way!) then perhaps a plain shirt, or narrow and subdued Bengal stripes may well be the choice of many.Generally speaking, the white shirt is kept for funerals and smarter weddings.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th July 11 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all...it is a second marriage for both. They had the formal the first time around and were looking for something less stuffy(meaning they just want to be married without the bells and whistles).
    I believe there is an expectation of shirt/tie and possibly jacket(to begin with anyway) and dependant on weather.
    I know the tattersall will fit the bill perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, part of Matt's advice on what is already in your closet working fine brings up another related bit, that I think is often missed with some folk. What is worn with the kilt is largely dictated by what would or could be worn without the kilt at a similar event.

Outside of kilting, except when the situation demands it, I am a T-Shirt and Jeans guy. I have several T-Shirts that are funny and kilt related, yet I am just as likely to wear another T-Shirt with my kilt if the situation would be one where I can wear one without a Kilt. The decision to wear a tie, or a jacket or moving forward into formal wear, is no different with the kilt than it would be with trousers.

As for the puffy pirate shirts, I used to have two of them, they both wore out. I was going to replace one of them, as it is quite comfortable, but the particular style turned out to be quite a bit more expensive than I remember it being years ago. The cheap ones, really don't do it for me at all. However the places one can wear one of those shirts is pretty limited, at least to me.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast