X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1822 Bi-centenary

1822 Bi-centenary

2022 will be the Bi-centenary of George IV’s visit to Scotland which was arguably the point at which tartan (and thereby the kilt) became a pan-Scottish rather a Highland cultural symbol under the guidance and influence of Sir Walter Scott.

The Scottish Enlightenment led the world from the 1780s which also saw the beginnings of the great Highland Revival but 1822 was the seal of Royal Approval that can be seen as the socio-political beginning of modern Scotland.

Along with a number of likeminded historians and tartan addicts I am involved in agitating to ensure that we commemorate this significant event. It seems the ideal opportunity to try and get the Scottish Government to support the establishment of a truly national centre for the preservation and interpretation of tartan and Highland Dress as part of Scotland’s unique cultural heritage. It will take that long to get agreement, raise funds and organise the collection. This is a long term aspiration and one that has to survive the hurdle of the 750th anniversary of Bannockburn which will be a more immediate focus of many.

One of the things that would be fantastic would be to bring together all/as many as possible of the Highland Revival and Regency outfits that survive in a national exhibition that could perhaps travel overseas afterwards.

At this stage can I urge you to support the idea of commemorating the 1822 Levee and all that it symbolised. Talk about it with others, write to the Scottish government and ask what they intend doing to recognise the importance of the Bi-centenary to Scotland, Scottish identity, commerce etc.

Suas leis a 'bhreacan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, I wholeheartedly support your plan from this side of the pond. Let me know what you would like me to do from here (Toronto).
    Gu dùbhlanach
    Coinneach Mac Dhòmhnaill