X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer Styles, MacLean fashion

Everyone else is doing it, so I thought I'd jump on the band waggon too!

In deference to the heat, I'm wearing a pale blue linen shirt, sleeves roled up. I find linen shirts to be a godsend in our Southern summers, and they look especially nice with the kilt.

Photo taken at the Glasgow (Kentucky) Highland Games on a very hot day. I am wearing a blue and white gingham shirt, a green tie with little red paisleys, green hose with red dicing. The bonnet was a bit warm, but protected the pate quite well!

Taken at an alfresco supper on a very hot evening. Shirt is a white button-down collar.

A most unflattering pic! I am wearing a navy blue Chemise Lacoste polo shirt at a casual gathering. I like polo shirts with the kilt, although I prefer long sleeved shirts, which I find to be cooler in the summer than the knit polos. Really.

And since summers are all relative ( "location, location, location" ), here is a summer photo taken in the kilt's native country. Again, I am wearing a blue and white gingham shirt, a navy pullover, and some shoes some would not consider "traditional" but which were most effective for the walking Sara and I did that day!

As mentioned, I like linen shirts in the summer, as well as regular broadcloth shirts in a variety of colours, stripes, and checks. I always wear hose. My legs don't seem to feel the heat at all. I seldom wear a belt with the kilt at any time, especially when casually turned out in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember No.2. I think you brought your jacket that day, but it stayed folded across your satchel most of the day. You might have worn it during opening seremonies. I like your shoes in No.3. Very comfy looking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for sharing.

Cheers!

Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you look great in all of those Sandy. I'd match the boots in No.5 but not the shoes in No.3... dare I say they are not traditional enough for me? No offence and not trying to be funny but they are in a style I've never been able to get to grips with. Must be 'cause I'm a stout shoes kind of Bloke. Grand pictures though. Cheers!

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandy,

I always like how you tend to incorporate colors into your accessories that are not found in the tartan. So many seem to feel limited to using the colors in the tartan itself (which is not a bad place to start, but can be rather boring over time).

I especially like how your red cuff links in No. 2 tie in with the red dicing on the hose tops.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandy,

I tend to do the same thing when the weather gets really warm. I also find that knit golf shirts tend to seem warmer than broadcloth...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking excellent Sandy, always love your bold hose choices.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this JSFMACLJR, and davidlpope too! Both of you look comfortable in the heat, yet still traditional. Your experience really shines through in these pictures. I still prefer the look with a belt, though I'm slowly warming up to the idea of the kilt worn without one...
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandy,

Wonderful photos mate (especially of Glencoe)! I especially like how you consistently keep your own specific style, and a more traditional sensibility with your approach to Highland day attire - no matter what the weather is. I am very much along the same lines as you and David in regards to the wearing of Highland dress in warmer weather, and keeping the levels of formality, comfort, and style all in balance.

I am afraid that I have never worn a knit, short-sleeve polo shirt (even though I do own many Lacoste and Brooks Brothers polos in a variety of colours) with the kilt, as it really isn't my style, but I do agree completely with your assessment that the broadcloth material of button-down shirts is far cooler in the heat. If it becomes too terribly hot, or humid, then naturally I will roll up the sleeves a couple times, however, I'll only do that if I am not wearing a necktie, whilst wearing a necktie, I will leave the sleeves down, demonstrated in Sandy's second photo, and my first. I will have several more of "these" types of photos after this weekend, as I will be attending a local event in which I will be wearing Highland "summer" attire, if you will. Thanks for sharing Sandy and David.

Very much the same idea as in Sandy's second photo featured above; me in a Brooks Brothers cotton broadcloth, tattersal shirt, necktie, kilt, etc. Photo taken at the 2011 Kentucky Scottish Weekend, where Sandy and I met in person for the first time.

Summer, indeed is quite relative to your location. Me in a light blue cotton broadcloth shirt and navy blue lambswool jumper, both from Brooks Brothers - I later took off the jumper and rolled up my shirt-sleeves. Photo taken in Hollister, California (to my right, armiger and dear friend, Sandy Macpherson of Edinburgh).

Again, another example of how summer weather can vary by location. Me in a white cotton broadcloth shirt with charcoal grey jumper -both from L.L. Bean - hiking boots may not be entirely "traditional," but they were appropriate to what I was doing. The boots are actually a reproduction of very early/traditional mountaineering boots - made entirely of all Gore-Tex, brown leather with Vibram soles - also from L.L. Bean. Photo taken in the hills of Badenoch in August.

I am wearing a light blue cotton broadcloth shirt, kilt, plain leather sporran with a sporran strap, plain grey hose, Loake brogues - no belt - very simple approach. Photo taken in Inverness-shire during the month of July.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 29th July 11 at 08:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathBar View Post
    I remember No.2. I think you brought your jacket that day, but it stayed folded across your satchel most of the day. You might have worn it during opening seremonies. I like your shoes in No.3. Very comfy looking.
    Hahaha, sounds like this year's Kentucky Scottish Weekend; first, Sandy's jacket laid across the roof of our car, then was promptly hung on a wooden hanger by my wife - she knows. I finally took off my tweed jacket...and waistcoat later in the day!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast