X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    I priced it up as a finished 8yd 15oz Kilt in a custom woven tartan. Came to:
    £583.13 = to $966.45
    (£663.13 = to $1098.71 for all hand sewn)

I'm sure it's worth every penny and I know that Scotweb (Tartan Mill) produce Kilts of the highest quality but that is a bit too high-end of the market for me.

Sorry Nick, regrettably, I'm out.
    Sorry, but that sounds about right. I can only recommend that you take a look at the video I produced, available on the D.C. Dalgliesh web site, which shows in some detail some (not all) of the incredible amount of highly skilled and time-consuming work that goes into the production of each and every length of fabric. And I wonder how anyone could possibly expect such a product to be sold for less? I happen to think it's amazing value, for a product that should last at least one lifetime, and give such tremendous pleasure.

I'm also pretty certain you won't find a kilt of any quality in a custom woven fabric from any other supplier for less, since in the end everyone needs to cover their costs and make a bit extra on top in order to stay in business and supply the service. We are as competitive as it gets, because we're more efficient than anyone else. So I can say this with some confidence. (And note: if you wish to question this, please make sure any competitor's price takes account of the recent rise.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't deny it Nick. I appreciate everything you say and have nothing but the utmost respect for what you are doing with Dalgliesh. These are tough times and something needs to be done to maintain such vital indigenous craftsmanship. When it's gone, it's gone and you've stepped up just in the nick of time. It does appear to be canny management that has been lacking with the company in the past and I'm sure your efforts to turn it all around will work out. I suspect there is probably a legacy hurdle you'll have had to overcome too. I, and I would think most others are grateful that arguably the best fabric isn't going to go to the wall.

I don't for one minute suggest that a custom woven Kilt isn't worth those prices, it's just the prices are well beyond MY personal means. This is the only reason for my regret but if you want top of the range, invariably you will have to pay for top of the range.
    Last edited by English Bloke; 17th August 11 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find myself in the lucky position of owning 4 handsewn 8 yd kilts in Dalgleish tartan, 1 12 oz in a "stock" weave Black Douglas, 1 custom woven 12oz Allen 1996, and two 15oz custom woven in Ancient Red Douglas and Brown Douglas. And the even luckier position of having been a savvy shopper when I purchased each to get a good deal on the tartan and labor in each instance that I would be ashamed to mention the cost of each here. My wife knows me as a savvy shopper finding what she considers incredible deals just with a little searching and knowledge of how to work the system to my advantage. I guess I was lucky in my timing to get them all before the changeover in pricing and direct consumer availability, as I could not replicate those deals again under the new circumstances.

They are all fine kilts and I wear each with pride and a smile on my face knowing what a good price I got them for considering the great quality of the tartan and the workmanship that went into each. I remain saddened by the economic situation that forces these changes in the way the company does business, and the resultant costs kilt wearers will end up bearing in order to have the pleasure of wearing such fine cloth. But I understand the ways of the world and if this is how it must be in order to keep a valuable mill in financial solvency, then so be it. I still lament that it will likely take the Dalgleish kilt, especially the custom weave, out of reach of many who heretofore could have had the chance to enjoy it. I will always treasure mine.

jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForresterModern View Post
    ... I will always treasure mine...
    And I shall treasure mine too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an aside the photo tour on the D.C Dagliesh site was very interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick: Thank you. I appreciate your generous offer, but I suspect you have more than enough on your plate.

Also, I have a good relationship with my "retailer" and am confident they are keeping my best interests at heart. If they ever feel the need to escalate the matter, I'm sure they will do so.

And, when my family finally dons the kilts associated with this transaction, the waiting time and associated Jonesing will have served to bind us even closer to the heirlooms created for us by the Scottish weaving industry and kilt-making craftsmen, ... as long as it doesn't stretch into years.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick
    I hope this mill prospers, but that video was SCARY. I have spent alot of time as a Safety Officer in manufacturing. Those machines are full of pinch points.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: D.C. Dalgliesh - an update on changes

If you wish to see a sample of D.C. Dalgliesh's product, please see my post in the Celtic Croft area.. You will not be dissapointed in anything ordered from them.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: D.C. Dalgliesh - an update on changes

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    Price is unfortunately pushing me to Locharron even though it's an additional wait of up to 12 weeks vs being in stock with DC Dalgleish
    Lochcarron is great tartan as well!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123