X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D.C. Dalgliesh - an update on changes

This is a quick heads-up to let anyone interested know that I've just posted an update on the D.C. Dalgliesh weaving mill, on our blog at http://blog.scotweb.co.uk/journal/20...he-future.html

This is timed to coincide with our first major publicly-visible changes. Firstly, as of last weekend, we've introduced a round or price rises, which are as modest as we could manage (especially given the massive price rises in raw wool over the past year). We've focussed more of the rise towards the shorter lengths (more reflecting the real costs of production) with lower increases for bulk, and the 'break points' for these have also changed. In short, we hope the new price list will be much simpler and more logical than before. In the end we trust you'll understand that prices had to go up to ensure the mill survives for the future, so we hope you'll continue to support us!

The other significant change we're making is that D.C. Dalgliesh will be more strictly dealing only with trade customers in future. We're asking even existing trade customers to set up trade accounts so that we have a proper administrative system to move forward with. This should mean more business for trade customers, as the mill won't be supplying to the public directly as has happened in the past. (That's just something I feel quite strongly about, as I feel it's very poor when trade suppliers compete unfairly with their own distribution chain.) And just to be clear, the mill will continue to operate independently of our retail operation (which is gradually rebranding as "Tartan Mill", with Scotweb becoming the group name).

There will be a lot more changes over the coming months, since we're investing heavily in the mill's operations. As these become visible, I'll aim to announce them. But rest assured, they're all about improving the service, and nothing at all will change in terms of the production techniques. We strongly believe that the traditional processes are the mill's best asset, so the quality will remain as great as ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Person's View

Nick: (I hope you don't mind the informality.)

Price increases are unfortunate both for us consumers, and for you producers, because they serve to reduce demand at least temporarily while consumers are "adjusting" to the new prices. But, in this case and from what I can gather, they are unavoidable.

The way you have structured the increases seems reasonable - lower unit prices for higher volume, amortizing the fixed costs over each purchased unit. There is no surprise there.

As for the change you have made in dealing only with trade customers and not individuals, I am not knowledgeable or experienced enough to have an informed opinion, but it seems evident that it will likely upset some number of individuals who like to "roll their own". It won't affect me personally, since all my kilts are purchased through various "retailers".

The bottom line for me, as long as I am not priced out of the market, is that it will be a good thing to continue to have the ability to obtain Dalgliesh's superb cloth and custom weaving capabilities. Your willingness to take the risk and do all the hard work necessary to help Dalgliesh continue, and hopefully prosper, is an admirable undertaking and I wish you the best going forward.

I look forward to buying my first kilt from the Tartan Mill.

John (mookien)
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price is unfortunately pushing me to Locharron even though it's an additional wait of up to 12 weeks vs being in stock with DC Dalgleish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    Price is unfortunately pushing me to Locharron even though it's an additional wait of up to 12 weeks vs being in stock with DC Dalgleish
    I'm guessing you're talking about the stock double width fabrics here. On their cheaper ranges Lochcarron prices are lower. But in fact Lochcarron's Old & Rare is still more expensive than Dalgliesh. So for the outstanding quality we're producing, I don't think the new price levels are unreasonable.

The bottom line is that there's no point in our selling materials at a loss, and if we want to maintain the standards of production (which we do) there is no choice but to raise prices and trust that enough customers will be willing to pay for that quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Fiddes View Post
    The bottom line is that there's no point in our selling materials at a loss, and if we want to maintain the standards of production (which we do) there is no choice but to raise prices and trust that enough customers will be willing to pay for that quality.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly on this Nick... If you're making a loss, then it will just be a matter of time before the inevitable... I'm sure we all hope you manage to turn the red into black... there is precious little of the weaving industry left in the UK.

For me, I used to drive a German car... would still like to... but I'm driving a Japanese car at the moment, It's definitely not German but it comes a good second... I only hope that you pricing structure (and the exchange rates) dont affect peoples choices like my analogy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: D.C. Dalgliesh - an update on changes

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    Lochcarron is great tartan as well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    madmacs: I, and the "trade customer" I am dealing with, have been waiting for 7 months for some cloth from Dalgliesh. It may come next month. Admittedly, it is a custom run and, apparently, requires some dyeing of thread, but that's still a long time.

After waiting for months, Jonesing turns into numbness. You sit in front of your TV staring at the blank screen, guzzling Woolite and sucking and chewing on your wool accessories like diced hose and old flashes (but not my Ryan Ross bonnet). It's a debilitating disease!
    Last edited by mookien; 16th August 11 at 04:53 PM.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I have wondered for years how Dalgliesh could do custom weaves for single kilt lengths at the prices they have charged for many years. Warping a loom is a significant effort, and there is considerable waste involved in thread that cannot be woven and has to be left on the loom or in the initial tie-in.

Everyone in the kilt making and wearing community has enjoyed the benefits of these stunningly low prices for over a decade, and I hope that, now that prices are actually commensurate with what it takes to weave small custom lengths, we all won't recriminate or whine too much.

In the long run,we will all benefit from Nick's foresight and financial ability to keep Dalgliesh afloat while they have reorganized. It might mean that a customer will have to save a bit longer for a custom weave, but, if that's what someone wants, it's worth it in the long run. There's no price gouging going on here.

So, I truly hope we won't see any loudness about this.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mookien: I've waited for locharron before, so no big deal...

Barb: It wasnt meant as a complaint, hopefully nick has a decent marketing strategy to promote them as a higher end bespoke mill...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So as I am reading this, if we want a length of tartan woven by Dalgliesh we would order through Scotweb rather than from Dalgliesh directly.

Will only tartans not otherwise available from say Locharron be available?

I guess I am asking if it is not listed by DCDalg, will we just take what is listed on the Scotweb site?

And I do understand about price increases. We really appreciate what you are doing for the industry and the continued availability of such an important commodity
    Last edited by Seanmhair; 16th August 11 at 07:33 PM.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I]Dùin do bheul, agus dannsa![/I]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast