X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NorCalPiper is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Englishman invents the modern kilt?

I've heard this before, but can anyone shed light on this article?

"‘About 50 years ago, one Thomas Rawlinson, an Englishman, conducted an iron work carried on in the countries of Glengarie and Lochaber; he had a throng of Highlanders employed in the service, and became very fond of the highland dress, and wore it in the neatest form; which I can aver, as I become personally acquainted with him above 40 years ago. He was a man of genius and quick parts, and thought it no great stretch of invention to abridge the dress, and make it handy and convenient for his workmen: and accordingly directed the using of the lower part plaited of what is called the felie or kilt as above, and the upper part was set aside… It was found so handy and convenient that, in the shortest space, the use of it became frequent in all the Highland Countries, and in many of our northern Low Countries also."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's false, you can check out one of Newsome's articles and it basically defuncts that. Phillabegs were seen before that, its just an englishman "brought it to the light".
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is Matt Newsome's article, "The Early History of the Kilt," where he discusses the myth.
    http://www.albanach.org/kilt.html

Though this sounds like a new version of the myth that is attributing the kilt, as we know it today, to Rawlinson.
    * Edit: I guess looking at it again, this is the same basic myth I've seen here and there. It was the "Modern" kilt part in the title of the thread confusing me.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 21st August 11 at 08:49 PM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pravda

If you believe that an Englishman invented the kilt (as we know it), then you'll probably believe that Al Gore invented the internet, and that Soviet scientists invented television...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This theory about a certain Rawlinson inventing the philabeg was propagated by the late Hugh Trevor-Roper (Lord Dacre) who loved to debunk received wisdom about Scots traditions. Recent scholarship has since debunked his Rawlinson canard with primary source images of philabegs being worn earlier from at least the late XVIIth century. Trevor-Roper (despite authenticating the phoney Hitler diaries) did (and still does) have some standing as a serious academic historian but he was an incorrigible Scotophobe. This is worth bearing in mind whenever reading T-R's works as they pertain to Scotland and the Scots.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another article which deals a bit more specifically with this issue here:
    http://www.albanach.org/kilt_enlish.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradatim Vincemus View Post
    This theory about a certain Rawlinson inventing the philabeg was propagated by the late Hugh Trevor-Roper (Lord Dacre) who loved to debunk received wisdom about Scots traditions. Recent scholarship has since debunked his Rawlinson canard with primary source images of philabegs being worn earlier from at least the late XVIIth century. Trevor-Roper (despite authenticating the phoney Hitler diaries) did (and still does) have some standing as a serious academic historian but he was an incorrigible Scotophobe. This is worth bearing in mind whenever reading T-R's works as they pertain to Scotland and the Scots.
    Lord Dacre and I became friends in the early 1980's when he came to lecture at The University of The South. I was an undergraduate, majoring in British History. I had the chance to dine with him on several occasions, and always enjoyed those times. Yes, his Scotophobia did break through from time to time, but he was an academic authority with a great deal to contribute to serious historical research.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    Lord Dacre and I became friends in the early 1980's when he came to lecture at The University of The South. I was an undergraduate, majoring in British History. I had the chance to dine with him on several occasions, and always enjoyed those times. Yes, his Scotophobia did break through from time to time, but he was an academic authority with a great deal to contribute to serious historical research.
    I quite agree about Trevor-Roper's eminence as a serious historian, T-R supervised my wife's Ph.D. supervisor (at Glasgow University) while he was working for his D. Phil at Oxford. Having studied Politics and Scottish History as my joint Honours options for an MA degree (undergraduate) at Glasgow University I often noticed that when discussing Scottish history, philosophy, and theology T-R's English prejudice was noticeable. This became most clear when reading his views on the Scottish Enlightenment and Presbyterianism where he often took a selective view of the evidence. T-R certainly expounded the view that the Scottish Enlightenment was entirely a result of the Union of 1707, however, a cursory knowledge of someone like Fletcher of Saltoun's life and works would clearly refute that.
    Last edited by Peter Crowe; 22nd August 11 at 07:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    I have another article which deals a bit more specifically with this issue here:
    http://www.albanach.org/kilt_enlish.html
    Uh-oh:

Error 404:

Oooops, this page cannot be found!

This error code indicates that the page you are trying to view does not exist on the server or has been moved to a different location.

Return to albanach.org Home Page
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "My beloved America, thank you for your children. If your children want to become soldiers I will train them. When they are hungry I will feed them. When they are thirsty I will give them water. When they fight for freedom I will lead them. When they are unsteady on the battlefield I will motivate them. If they die on the battlefield I will bury them. So help me God."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast