X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light weight Vs. Heavy weight

I have three knife pleated, heavy weight kilts which I enjoy wearing Fall, Winter and (early) Spring. I'd like to get a lighter weight kilt for the warmer Summer months, but am wary of what I have read about the light weights not keeping their shape. I tend to ere more on the traditionalist side so am leaning towards wool rather than denim or canvas. Maybe a medium weight wool? Not sure if that would make a difference. I am also interested in possibly going with a box pleat for this one. Thoughts? From what I've seen here so far I expect I'll get an earful on this subject - I welcome the advice.
    Thanks gents!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking on the same lines. I have a 16oz 8yd. Very heavy but warm. Was thinking about a 5/6 yd 13 or 16 oz wool knife pleat.

Chris.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 8 yard kilts in 16oz and 13ox, and 4 yard box pleats in 16oz. I have worn all 3 styles in Bali which is hot. I have found that the 4 yard box pleated one are the most comfortable to wear in hot conditions (you are after all carrying half the weight). When others pick up a 4 yard kilt and compare it to a 8 yard, either 13 or 16 oz, they are amazed at the lightness of it.

I have never seen, let alone worn a PV kilt, so can't comment on their suitabilty for hot climates.

As far a 13oz not holding the pleats as well as 16oz, I have never experienced problems in this area. After a wearing, I steam the pleats, just as do with the 16oz and they are just as good as the 16oz
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperatures influence clothing choices, and kilts are no exception. I can only speak from personal experience here, but I have always found that the weight of the fabric had almost no relation whatever to how warm a kilt is in summer. It has altogether to do with how much fabric, regardless of weight, is in the kilt.

For my money and for my comfort, I have always purchased the heaviest cloth I could afford, and go with fewer yards of it in a kilt when the temperatures climb. For summer comfort I am most happy with my box pleated 4 yarders, and every one of them is made from 16 oz, fabric. Good luck!

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those looking for a more comfortable, lighter weight kilt, I generally recommend a lower-yardage kilt made from heavy weight cloth. This way you still get the benefits of the heavy weight wool (wrinkles less, hold's it's shape more, etc), but you still have a lighter weight kilt overall.

I know that my four yard box pleated kilts are lighter and cooler than eight yard kilts made from a 10oz or 13oz cloth even. So why not have the best of both worlds!?

Pennsyl-tuckey-vill-burg-town (aka central Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I have a 16 oz tank and a 13 oz 8 yarder. The 13 oz is definitely more comfortable on warmer days. I would think a lower yardage would be a good idea as well.

Hugh

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer weight kilt

I strongly recommend USAKilts PV kilts for summer warm weather wear. Here in the DC area, it gets quite humid and hot late June-early September. While a 4-5 yard wool kilt is not unbearable, one of Rocky's PV kilts is down right comfortable. And they hold their pleat and shape well. I own several. You cannot tell the material from 13 oz wool from any distance that non-intimate friends should be seeing your kilt!
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think you've helped me make up my mind. Seems like the 4yd, 16 oz box pleat kilt is next for my closet!
    Geoff, perhaps a USAkilt will be #5? :-)
    I have patronized both (Rocky's) USAkilts and (Matthew's) Scottish Tartan Museum and found them both to be good resources. For this purchase I think the wool option suits me better, and I like the idea of something a little different this time with the box pleat.
    Matthew, I'll be contacting you soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 22oz 8 yard that I do not consider heavy. I like it all the time. After all it is open to the air below and just hangs from the waist. I have to say that I have a WPG reproduction Gordon Highlanders in 22oz that I have worn hiking in the warmest (80 - 90 degree F) days and not found it uncomfortable. I have the most comfort issues with sweating from my brow and neck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tulloch View Post
    I have a 22oz 8 yard that I do not consider heavy. I like it all the time. After all it is open to the air below and just hangs from the waist. I have to say that I have a WPG reproduction Gordon Highlanders in 22oz that I have worn hiking in the warmest (80 - 90 degree F) days and not found it uncomfortable. I have the most comfort issues with sweating from my brow and neck.
    Agreed. I've worn 16oz 9 yard in similar weather with no issues whatever. I do own a PV 5yard, but that's for spots where I might get it mucked up since I'm told PV is easier to clean up afterwards. Heavier weight for me.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast