X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panache Answers the "Big Kilt Questions"

Apparently there was a member request that a post I made about white hose be made a sticky and I received a PM asking that I submit it as a thread in its own right. As this post was actually part of a guide I wrote for The Scots Forum http://www.thescotsforum.com/forum.php on 09/14/00 with the kind blessing of owners of The Scots Forum I share the guide in its entirety here. I have taken the liberty of making a few corrections or adding additional thoughts as I saw appropriate

Jamie

Though not a Scot by birth, only heritage, I found that I like the kilt very much and since February 2006 I have been a regular kilt wearer. I am a Scottish Country Dancer, I attend Highland Games and other Celtic heritage events, and have been part of a group that puts on a Burns Night Supper each January, and online have participated in a number of kilt and kilt related forums. In regards to the kilt I have read much, observed carefully, questioned politely, pondered over, invented, and in general learned as much as I could about this wonderful style of dress. Over the last few years I have acquired a number of them of all sorts, from hand sewn to machine sewn, modern to traditional, and I even have a large piece of tartan cloth for a belted plaid. From my closet I can assemble kilted outfits that range from casual to white tie level formality. .

Over the years I have seen certain debates come up over and over again. They always become heated arguments and never end with any sort of satisfactory conclusion. For the new kilt wearer (or potential kilt wearer) this isn’t the least bit helpful and does nothing but perpetuate these debates without ever answering the question. .

It may be an act of hubris but I decided to tackle these and answer them in a manner that would settle them once and for all. I'm sure there will be those that disagree with them and that is fine. Kilts exist in a special intersection of history, traditions, and fashion. It is my hope that these blunt (though hopefully humorously ) given opinions will prove a useful tool to many, and you all have my permission to use them if you think they will help end pointless argument in the future wherever you see fit.

So without further ado...
    Last edited by Panache; 29th August 11 at 04:56 PM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand