X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 275 Years!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

275 Years!

A number of recent threads have touched upon the (often touchy!) subject of the wearing of kilts beyond today's Scottish borders, by folks who are not actual citizens of that country, or not even Highlanders.

Well. join me in celebrating 275 years of the wearing of kilts and Highland dress (in one capacity or another) here in North America! In 1736, a colony of Scottish Highlanders was established in Darien, Georgia (first called "New Inverness"), and numerous accounts describe the clansfolk as wearing their traditional highland dress - including in battle with the Spanish out of Florida.

http://www.cityofdarienga.com/darienHistory.php

So, does two-and-three-quarters centuries of a pretty much unbroken history of donning kilts here in the New World afford us the right to continue on without being frowned upon for doing so...?
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, does two-and-three-quarters centuries of a pretty much unbroken history of donning kilts here in the New World afford us the right to continue on without being frowned upon for doing so...?
    Probably not. Even though that's a longer continuous history of kilt-wearing than the Scots can claim!

Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Probably not. Even though that's a longer continuous history of kilt-wearing than the Scots can claim!
    I was going to say no too, but since you beat me to it you can take the heat...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think many of those in Scotland who feel that way would possibly change their minds if they found themselves living in another part of the world. Nostalgia and pride in their heritage might play a larger role than one would think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.P., thank you for this information. For those who do not approve, no amount of evidence would be sufficient; for those who do, none is necessary! -- But Thanks anyway; it makes it easier for us "outlanders" who for whatever reasons feel the connection -- and now even more to be connected to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Then again, upon arriving on these shores perhaps the Darien Highlanders, and those who followed, should have immediately ditched their kilts and donned blue-jeans and baseball caps....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    ...Then again, upon arriving on these shores perhaps the Darien Highlanders, and those who followed, should have immediately doffed their kilts and donned blue-jeans and baseball caps....
    They might have been confused with frenchies if they started wearing serge de nimes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see this Darien "colony" actually worked out.
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some more history of the colony is here. http://home.sprintmail.com/~ejb/Darien.htm

Interesting to note that the decendants of the original highlander immigrants fought in the Civil War as mounted cavalry
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woodsheal,
    As ever you always bring the most interesting and historicaly accurate subjects to the table! Thank you and also Downunderkilt for the fascinating links.Of course just more proof that a strong and enduring sence of Scottish identity can travel and be passed onwards by Scots wherever they may go.Such bravery and resilience in battle!I appreciate the bravery and inner strength of the women also.

This just underlines to me something that I read or heard years ago about the American civil war and the confederate soldiers.I am in no way well versed in this part of American history so I am happy to stand corrected,but is it not true that the blood curdling 'rebel yell' used to effect in the confederate battlefield charge was said to be a direct and close descendant of the highland war cry?

Also that the both Scots and Irish were quite heavily represented in the confederate troops?

I must admitt the history of my family outside of Scotland does not even go back,at the earliest,before the early 1920's,some coming out from Scotland even later than that,and it may be for that reason that district tartans never held more than a quickly passing interest to me.However the information held in the links makes me see that some of the district tartans of the new world do have real Scottish authenticity,in the gaelic, pre '45 repression sence.

I do understand some Scots who are uncomfortable with 'non Scots' wearing the kilt in a way.If Scots and thier kin weren't a bit insular and a bit clannish(read tribal)then they and we(descendants)would not be who we are.You can't expect a people who have spent so much of thier history fighting other folk and each other to not have a pretty wide territorial streak in them.

However, can any Scot who reads about the grit,just pure out and out balls that these immigrant soldiers and other Scots immigrants have shown in different areas in different ways,still not fathom how this strength of character would not continue to be identified with and celebrated by thier offspring? Those that could not apreciate this,well,they've got me scunnered.They are the real Scots,we(descendants)were not born there,so at the end of the day they have a perfect right to hold thier opinions.

But to think of those brave lads holding off the Spannish in that bloody marsh!If one can't see that deeds like that take the proud seed of Scotland and plant it to grow strong in another land,then to me ,in my own opinion,one is disrespecting ones own people,heritage,and what makes a Scot,a Scot.

Woodsheal,I really love your work.I'm not really sure how this honour roll works,and I'm not one to be overly impressed by swanky titles(yon's glesga wurrkin cless fur ye!)but you are one who I'd have no problems seeing on it!
    Look forward to more!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast