X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kilt Kops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worn the kilts for many years and I know how to it. I don't care if a few people tell me that I can't wear it because I am Chinese... Long Live the Kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well said. I actually appreciate the opportunity to hear opinions that differ from my own; the process of comparing opinions can be quite enlightening. I do lose patience, though, when people present their opinions as fact. Interestingly, recognizing the difference between fact and opinion was the topic of a literacy session that I taught tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kinda like that thing mothers would say "if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all."

There a few subject that get tumbled around over and over again. (Look it up.) depending on who comments first and when the post was made the discussion will be entirely different. What should we take from this? We should realize what Steve said. Our kilt wear and style is ours.

I have become disenchanted with the conversations as of late and I have been reading older post and threads by Panache and some of the other great (but recently missing) kilties. They are GOLD!!! They are effecting my style, teaching me new things, and talking my off of the ledge (I was thinking of quitting the kilt).
    Let's fire up the good old days again!

Steve thank you for this thread. I would say a post like this should be sticky worthy.

Cheers!
    Matthew
    Let YOUR utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how you ought to give an answer to each one.
    Colossians 4:6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve that was not only well said but perhaps the most eloquent posting I have seen on this wonderful forum. Thank you for speaking so well for so many of us.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wise words for sure. I'm sure this gentleman would appreciate them.

And in the spirit of kilting fellowship never saw anyone approach him - including me.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huzzah, Steve!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Does that mean I can't keep my badge?

Jordan - of course, you can keep your badge.

Just pin it somewhere under your kilt, where it will be nice and handy!

But no pictures!

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post

And in the spirit of kilting fellowship never saw anyone approach him - including me.
    What a great pic!

Probably 95% of people who saw him had no idea about "basted pleats" either way! Sad thing: a brand new kilt with it's pleats restrained such!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post

I would have had to tell him, I couldnt live with myself to see a kilt worn like that

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, there is a way you can tell someone that the basting stitches ought to be removed before wearing the kilt out like that which would come across as friendly advice, rather than rude snobbery. Really, was anyone doing that gent any favors by allowing him to walk around the Games all day like that and NOT telling him?

Someone said a few posts up that it is important to realize the difference between fact and opinion. That is very true. I think it is also important to realize that not everyone who gives their opinion or advice is being the "Kilt Police."

I have a quote which I often repeat from Stuart Ruaidri Erskine that says "The Highland dress is essentially a 'free' dress -- that is to say, a man's taste and circumstances must alone be permitted to decide when and where and how he should wear it... I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."

That is all basically true, and I repeat it so often because one trend in Highland dress that I think needs combating is this tendency some have to make the whole thing into a uniform. Unless you are a member of some uniformed organization (the military, or a pipe band, etc) which requires you to wear the kilt in a certain way, there truly are no RULES that dictate how you should wear the kilt.

But there is another trend that I think also needs combating that is the polar opposite. This is the idea that anything goes, one way of wearing the kilt is just as appropriate as another, and how dare anyone tell me any different.

It will be helpful for me to give an example of each of these tendencies. Once I was sternly corrected by a man who had spent some time in the British military. It seems the cuffs on my hose were turned over an inch too short, or too long (can't recall now). I was told in no uncertain terms that I was wearing them wrong. I had to politely remind the gentleman that I was not serving in the military and not wearing a uniform and so not subject to his uniform regulations.

On the other end of the spectrum, I once saw a man representing his clan in the parade of clans at the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games wearing this: a traditional 8 yard kilt in his clan tartan, no shirt, an open black leather biker's vest, about a dozen heavy gold chains on his neck (ala Mr. T), a horned viking helmet, and on his feet -- not kilt hose and ghillies, no not even boots -- large green furry dinosaur feet bedroom slippers. It honestly looked like he opened his closet that morning and asked himself what was the most ridiculous combination of clothing he could possibly wear. And this was how he chose to represent his clan on parade.

I think common sense lies somewhere between these two extremes. I think men of reasonable minds and good will can appreciate that while there many not be uniform rules for civilian kilt wearing, there are still "rules" of good fashion and taste, and that these may vary from region to region, circumstance to circumstance, and social group to social group. But it is always helpful to be aware of them, and when we deviate from them, we do so with a reason and purpose in mind.

Further, we must also appreciate the fact that the kilt is a unique and special garment that has many years of history and tradition behind it, and that tradition should be respected, if not always followed.

Likewise it is important to remember that the tradition of kilt wearing is still a living tradition, and so subject to change and adaptation.

A little common sense can go a long way.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast