X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kilt Kops

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    Indeed it can. As to correcting someone, I think we can correct obvious missteps due to ignorance without becoming "kilt police". At the VA Highland Games last weekend, I happened to be behind an elderly gentleman in a Black Watch kilt, and his lady in a matching shawl. From their wide eyed appearance I thought they were perhaps newcomers to this world of kilts. I became sure of it when I noticed he had his pleats in front. I went to him, and after excusing myself for interrupting, said quietly, "The pleats are normally worn in back." He asked if I was sure, it seemed backwards to him. I told him not to take my word for it, but to look around. A little bit later, I saw him, and his pleats were in back. he flashed me a thumbs up, and a grin. That is, I think, how to handle an obvious error. Discreetly, politely, and move on. Let the person make their own decision and correction in their own time.
    I did pretty much the exact same thing once, and not only was the gentleman thankful that I told him, but he was mystified as to why no one else had (he had already been at the Games for several hours).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    I see and generally agree with these points, but....
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and the right to share that opinion, valuable or otherwise.
    Refering to someone as the "Kilt Police" is a matter of whether said opinions are expressed as friendly advice, or a didactic instruction.
    There's a difference between someone trying to help by saying something like; "Excuse me, but in my experience that's worn like this" and someone just blurting out; "That's wrong, it's done this way"!
    All you're doing in that circumstance is making a judgement on their motivation. Frankly, I don't see a significant difference between doing that and telling someone that they are "doing it wrong"?

Offering an opinion that has not been asked for is problematic in any situation...except perhaps on discussion forums where differences of opinion are encouraged...or not.

Sometimes a well intentioned comment, even made discreetly, turns into a meltdown simply because some people don't like, and don't take, advice from any quarter no matter how well intentioned or grounded.

The point, in case I'm not making myself clear, is that there are counterparts to "kilt police" in every community and for every point of view. For example, if there are kilt police, there are certainly "kilt vandals," or "tartan anarchists." It all depends on your perspective...and especially in the context of bandying these accusations around, that's very often as arbitrary and as closed minded and "prickly" as the very people you're accusing.
    DWFII--Traditionalist and Auld Crabbit
    In the Highlands of Central Oregon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If two of us are identical, one of us is unneccesary"
    "My beloved America, thank you for your children. If your children want to become soldiers I will train them. When they are hungry I will feed them. When they are thirsty I will give them water. When they fight for freedom I will lead them. When they are unsteady on the battlefield I will motivate them. If they die on the battlefield I will bury them. So help me God."

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Steve, for a well-thought-out discussion of how the kilt can be worn, and to those who responded.
    My new kilt (acquired in July – pictures soon, I promise) was made by an Afrikaans-speaking kilt-wearer from Springs, east of Johannesburg.
    His label (which I will show in my pictures) states: “Vryheid van beweging.”
    That translates as “Freedom of movement.”
    It is an excellent summing up certainly of some of my own reasons for wearing the kilt.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Oettle View Post
    Thank you, Steve, for a well-thought-out discussion of how the kilt can be worn, and to those who responded.
    My new kilt (acquired in July – pictures soon, I promise) was made by an Afrikaans-speaking kilt-wearer from Springs, east of Johannesburg.
    His label (which I will show in my pictures) states: “Vryheid van beweging.”
    That translates as “Freedom of movement.”
    It is an excellent summing up certainly of some of my own reasons for wearing the kilt.
    Regards,
    Mike
    That sounds very interesting Mike, is it from the tartan in your Avitar?
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the guy with the viking helmet and dinosaur feet knew he looked outlandish, but not the guy with the basting stitches. There is a world of difference between choosing to look weird and being embarassed by a faux pas. The latter is rather like leaving the packaging on something when you are using it.

As for representing his clan, it's up to them whether they want a weirdo marching in front of them. Either they accepted it or he was too big to argue with, LOL! As they say in Glasgow, a big yin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re Viking helmet & dinosaur feet:
    Well, it could have been worse. He could have been wearing a flat cap and white hose. <grin>
    Mark Stephenson
    Region 5 Commissioner (OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN, IA, KY), Clan MacTavish USA
    Cincinnati, OH
    [I]Be alert - the world needs more lerts[/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
    All you're doing in that circumstance is making a judgement on their motivation. Frankly, I don't see a significant difference between doing that and telling someone that they are "doing it wrong"?

Offering an opinion that has not been asked for is problematic in any situation...except perhaps on discussion forums where differences of opinion are encouraged...or not.

Sometimes a well intentioned comment, even made discreetly, turns into a meltdown simply because some people don't like, and don't take, advice from any quarter no matter how well intentioned or grounded.

The point, in case I'm not making myself clear, is that there are counterparts to "kilt police" in every community and for every point of view. For example, if there are kilt police, there are certainly "kilt vandals," or "tartan anarchists." It all depends on your perspective...and especially in the context of bandying these accusations around, that's very often as arbitrary and as closed minded and "prickly" as the very people you're accusing.
    Quite right. I think thats one of the points Matthew made in post #20.

I am sure you would agree though that if some woman walked up to you and tore you apart for wearing a white shirt after labor day (or what ever that "rule" is) you would not take her seriously. And if she said " I'm the editor of vogue magazine" then you would think she was not just a **** but a rich one at that.

My point is that there is a way to season words with salt, a way to speak with humility and concern for how others will understand what you say.

Using the fellow with the obviously new kilt. (picture posted in this thread) One could approach him and say "hey genius! Your supposed to take the white thread out! You look like a disaster" or one can say "excuse me sir, your new kilt looks fantastic but did you realize that you forgot to remove the basting stitches? If you would like I can show you how you can remove them with out fuss" It's a way of speaking that makes effort to avoid offending others.

The point that both DWFII and Matthew made is a good one. A rude grouch who accepts nothing less than perfection and thinks there is only ONE way to wear a kilt is just as bad as someone who thinks a kilt can be worn in ANY way they wish. Dino slippers and coconut bra and all.

Let YOUR utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how you ought to give an answer to each one.
    Colossians 4:6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowher View Post
    The point that both DWFII and Matthew made is a good one. A rude grouch who accepts nothing less than perfection and thinks there is only ONE way to wear a kilt is just as bad as someone who thinks a kilt can be worn in ANY way they wish. Dino slippers and coconut bra and all.

I'm not the kind of person that would take anyone to task...I'm just not that interested. Nor do I have any admiration, to speak of, for either behaviour.

That said, I suspect...perhaps from a fairly long association with this forum....that there's a certain honesty and authenticity that accrues to the grouch if only because it's a genuine, human, reaction to perceived disrespect.
    DWFII--Traditionalist and Auld Crabbit
    In the Highlands of Central Oregon

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Kilt Police" would walk up to a stranger, interrupt a conversation he is having, to say, "Your kilt is too long!" And he'd probably get some angry words in response, or at least an angry glare.

--

A gentleman would strike up a conversation with the fellow, exchange friendly greetings, and if the moment presented itself, ask, "Is that a new kilt?"

And when the person said, "Well, it's new to me, but it's an older kilt, a friend bought it for me off of ebay."

And the gentleman would say, "It's a really nice kilt, it looks well made. It's a tad long, though. If you were to have one made for you, you'd want to shoot for somewhere between mid-knee and just above the kneecap. I think above the knee is the most comfortable, but that's personal preference."

And perhaps the other fellow might ask, "Do you think this kilt is too long to wear?"

And you might reply, "Well, it does look a bit long, you might try wearing it up a bit higher on your waist and see how that does. If not, I can give you the names of a few people I know who might alter it for you. It's a nice kilt, it would be a shame not to wear it."

See the difference?

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast