X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few kilts from Heritage of Scotland and I think they are a great value for the money. I also have a couple of heavyweight kilts from Stillwater and they are nicer still. I also have a tank from Scotland that cost much more, but is absolutely fantastic. True kilties will notice the quality differences between a HoS, a Stillwater, and tank, but most of the public won't. I wouldn't be heart broken if one of my kids took a magic marker to one of them, which would happen if they did that to my tank!

You get what you pay for, but everyones budgets are different and it matters more that you enjoy and are happy wearing kilts than the label on the kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not a true kilter yet, since i have only worn a kilt that i hired for my borthers wedding. but that was from a specilist kilt hire place, and i have seen there hand made kilts in the shop. but i do have thing for detail and from just wearing that 1 kilt no how different it is to what i bought.

but i do believe that i have probably gotten the 1 that is the worst from a batch. sicne these kilts are thrown of a factory line at speed. ive seen videos of various things being made on a line from even the most skilt machine skiolled person. they throw things out at incredible speeds. even the most skilled person at these speeds are bound to make mistakes.

next time, i wil be more carefull at inspecting now i know what im looking for. i love my kilt and i just want it to sit right will i make my way forard to getting a more traditional and correct one. to me the most important part is it sits right as a kilt should. my next kilt will not only sit as it should but also as the tarten should. i really pay particular attention to detail and now that i know that the tartain is not sitting right its even more annoying.

no one else notices but i do and thats what matters. i know how it should be. maybe i suffer from some sort of OCD,

I love wearing a kilt ever since i bought it, but now that its not sitting right im putting off wearing it even though most people wouldnt even know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Veda,

Just a few points - in no particular order.

I am a returning customer to Heritage of Scotland. There are two camps here at XMarks - those for and those against. I am not going to re-hash all the old arguments but will say this. I have always had value for money from them.

If your kilt has been made incorrectly there is nothing you can do about that. Re-building is just not cost effective. Do what you can with the pleats and then accept it. Remember this - when you put on the kilt, you are the resident expert. If YOU say it is right, no one else will know the difference. Wear it and enjoy yourself.

EBay is your friend!. I do not know what your waist size is, but if you are in the 24" to 32" bracket (eat a decent meal, for goodness sake), then eBay is awash with quality kilts. And I am talking about hand stitched, 18oz., military spec kilts - true tanks! They are for sale today for £110 delivered to your door.
    Two years ago, I bought a 'Flower of Scotland' hand stitched for £34. The bargains are there to be had, all you need do is look.

I don't know where you are in the UK. I am in Norfolk and can recommend Paul Henry who lives just out side of London - he is a member here. He rebuilt one kilt for me and is currently working on another. paulhenry - is his member name.

I think that is all the random thoughts I have. You can always PM me if you need or want more information.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought.
    If it is actually stitched incorrectly in manufacture, then you should be able to get it exchanged by the supplier under warranty?

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: repressing a kilt that has been pressed incorrectly

I'll need to dig out the reciept, and see find out what kind of warrenty they have, as ive had it for a few weeks now and it has been worn for probably 7 or 8 days since i bought it.

just loked at there site and apperently they are made in scotland.

Im from glasgow, just been looking at there site, and cant find anything aboiut any stores they have. I bought my kilt from a store in glasgow, what is strange now that i think of it, is that the kilts in store had price tages reduced from 99 to 49, yet on the herritage of scotland site they are advertised as £40 for the 8 yard kilts, they also do 5 yeard kilts for £22.

I think i will buy direct from the site as i do want another kilt for casual wear. plus they do hand made kilts aswell.

I think for now, ill just give sorting the pleats out according to how its stitched, it actually looks prettty good and if i can get the pleats to sit the way a kilt should ill be happy.

I really like wearing a kilt regularly but i just feel weird wearing it knowing the pleats are not sitting properly, plus they dont go back right if the wind catches them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok just did some more searching, turns out there seems to be 2 heritage of scotland sites

http://www.heritageofscotland.com/

which is where i was going to order from until i was told there was a store in glasgow. I thought they were the same company.

However it seems that

http://www.theheritageofscotland.com/

is associated with the store i went to.

The first site states that all there products are made in scotland, and the 2nd where i bought my kilt the site states most of there products are made in scotland.

Quite confusing. If i was to get a 2nd kilt from heritage of scotland should i be ordering from the first site?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was a reply to a message now hard erased - advice on correcting pleats which curve off the straight grain of the fabric.

What you need to do is take out the fold - I'd use an old fashioned rolling pin wrapped in a pillow case under each pleat in turn and carefully press the fabric flat beneath a pressing cloth.

Once the fabric is smoothed out then you need to tack the correct line of the pleats vertically and use a flat board to press it, then when all the pleats are done, baste them so they are all lying correctly with respect to eachother and give a final pressing.

Work with the waist line off the narrow end of the ironing board as the fell should not lie flat but be curved, so you don't want to be flattening that.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    Last edited by Pleater; 27th September 11 at 03:24 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123