X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elkommando Analogue?

While I wait to buy my first 16oz'r my thoughts turn towards getting a modern kilt of some sort that I can wear around town, work and school. Out of everything I've seen so far I appreciate the newly retired Elkommando most. I like the cargo pockets, the full apron, the olive drabness, the distinct lack of rivets. It's sleek, no frills, straight forward but now off the market... Any ideas on where or from whom I could find a similar kilt still in production at around the same price?

(PS, The only thing else I'm looking for that the Elkommando lacked was the length to wear it at the hips and not the waist.)
    Last edited by Vegan Scot; 12th September 11 at 09:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked UT Kilts (www.UTKilts.com) sorry my link imbedding abilities leave a little to be desired.
    They have cargo pockets, but in the standard model they don't have the excessive rivets of some modern kilts.
    Last edited by cruiser348; 13th September 11 at 11:50 AM. Reason: issues trying to get link to work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a tan got kilt? modern at a highland games. There are four heavy snaps at the waist, two on each side, and two right hip buckles. It has a couple of cargo pockets with two snaps each. These hang over the hip pleats. Other than that, it is relatively plain and simple. The reverse Kingussie pleats in the back are stitched at the inner and outer creases to help hold their shape. I quite like mine for everyday casual wear. It is reasonably priced and can be ordered in lengths from 18.5 to 26 inches.

Though the hip straps on mine have six holes, the snaps at the waist basically make it a single size kilt. For a bit of extra DIY adjustability if your size changes, you could probably add some velcro to the waist and leave the snaps open. The use of a belt would hide the exposed snaps on the right hip. I have not done this to mine yet. Given this caveat, I am still pleased with the purchase and would get another one if I do not make an Xkilt soon enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I e-mailed Mountain Hardwear a couple of months ago and found out that the Elkommando will be on sale online and at REI stores In the Spring 2012 line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Elkommando Analogue?

http://shop.sand-baggers.com/ultraki...eth-1089-p.asp
    Scottish made, looks pretty similar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rab View Post
    http://shop.sand-baggers.com/ultraki...eth-1089-p.asp
    Scottish made, looks pretty similar
    Does look interesting from the link, but...what does it look like in straight poses? And, what is the shade of khaki? And, the largest waist is 34"-36"? Really?
    Not confidence inspiring.
    [FONT="Georgia"][B][I]-- Larry B.[/I][/B][/FONT]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser348 View Post
    Have you checked UT Kilts (www.UTKilts.com) sorry my link imbedding abilities leave a little to be desired.
    They have cargo pockets, but in the standard model they don't have the excessive rivets of some modern kilts.
    Out of everything I'm leaning most heavily towards UTKilts. Not only is it run by a member on X Marks but he's also a fellow Utahan. (Doesn't hurt that the kilts look sharp as can be...)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Scot View Post
    While I wait to buy my first 16oz'r my thoughts turn towards getting a modern kilt of some sort that I can wear around town, work and school. Out of everything I've seen so far I appreciate the newly retired Elkommando most. I like the cargo pockets, the full apron, the olive drabness, the distinct lack of rivets. It's sleek, no frills, straight forward but now off the market... Any ideas on where or from whom I could find a similar kilt still in production at around the same price?

(PS, The only thing else I'm looking for that the Elkommando lacked was the length to wear it at the hips and not the waist.)
    Like all outdoor clothing (I once owned an outdoor retail store) Elkommandos

are seasonal. I got an Elkommando at the Seattle REI in June and scored a second from Moose Jaw in September. By then all the remaining stock is gone and fall/ winter goods are in the stores. I got the first one for the approach hike up to Mt Baker(I plan to post photos of that soon). I really enjoy the Elkommandos for their comfort and the performance material they are made from. I walk a mile each way daily to work and wear them. I also grunge them with a t-shirt and overshirt, merrino wool socks and New Balance running shoes and head to my local pub. I wear kilts daily and jeans maybe once a week now so the Elkommandos come in handy. If you are bent on getting one like this I would wait till spring and see if Mountain Hardwear will make them again, I do hope they will. You could even email them to see if they will continue the line. All outdoor clothing runs in seasons so there wont be any Elkommmandos till spring. I also need a couple of knock around kilts besides my Elkommandos and am looking at the UTkilts. The look well made, not overly riveted and have a good price. The difference will be the fabric, the UTkilts wont be a performance fabric for hiking or backpacking.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good points all around Paul. I might take your advice and bide my time.