X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Australian "Utilikilts"?

This sounds fishy...
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Danaidh is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A brand new UK for under $100? Even if it's labeled differently (probably a legal thing UK chose to do), after paying shipping it's still cheaper than buying one from UK direct. Their prices have skyrocketed the past few years (I switched to tartan's because of that, and in retrospect, am thankful to them for that).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've also lifted pictures from my website as well. If they are getting kilts made from offshore there is a company doing knockoffs, of not only my brand, but UK as well. They retail from anywhere $60-$100. Vendors like Got Kilt and UT kilt utilize these suppliers. I'm sure it is safe to say any of the kilts that are on ebay that sell in that price range originate from South Asia. One of the designs that is currently popular was from Union kilts

Danaidh is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I didn't think of that. My first practice chanter was Pakinstanian {{shudder}}. I'll never buy a knock-off again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, before even considering buying one of their products I would hesitate to blatantly ask them for an actual photograph of one of the kilts that they sell. If they direct you to their website inform them that you know the pictures on their site are from that of other companies, and before purchasing you want to see actual pictures of the product. If they refuse to do that I would be a little concerned about doing business with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they're counterfeiting UK, then I hope they get their arses sued into the poorhouse.

Chirs is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Re: Australian "Utilikilts"?

Are we really having this discussion again? "These guys look fishy but their products are less expensive. I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't but the cost..." Then, at the same time, we have another discussion: "Where have all the artisans gone?" "Why can't we buy good-quality products any more?" "Why are the mills closing down?"

If I may offer unsolicited advice (the worst kind possible!!), rather than take a chance on a stranger you will never meet, buy from those in whom you have some investment. Is there a person where you live that you would like to see succeed? Buy it there! And all the kiltmakers on this site... why are people looking so far afield? I should imagine that the first argument will be "You can't ignore these other businesses. Everyone has a right to make a profit." And you know, that is so true. And it would include the people you already know! Unless you intend to singlehandedly ensure the profits of every business that exists, you are going to leave someone out. Are you denying them some right? And, if you're going to be leaving someone "out in the cold," do you really want that someone to be a person in whom you have an investment?

Stop looking at all these other companies! Not because they are 'foreign' but because they are not Steve or Robert or Crystal or Matt or Rocky or.... it is a very long list!! We have so many REALLY talented people here who need patronage just as much as everyone else in the world. You are going to make a choice, one way or another, so why not choose to support those within our own community?!!!!

Okay. Umm, sorry. Seems I may have some slightly strong feelings here. I apologise for the rant but I do feel better now that it's out. And now we return you to your regular buying habits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update; My photos have taken down. I have informed him of the other breeches with photos, from both Utilikilts and the new Seattle based kilt company. The owner tells me that the photos were supplied by the manufacturer he's dealing with. Refer to my previous post regarding the type and style of kilts being offered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sent Utilikilts an e-mail with a link to the OZ kilts site so they can get on them. It must happen often as Utilikilts has an e-mail just for copyright violations.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, don't think the Utilikilts patent applies in Australia. Always be leary of new kiltmakers - and as mentioned ESPECIALLY when they use other people's photos.

There are so many little things to consider - like what quality thread are they using? A kilt - especially a kilt designed for utility work - made with cheap thread is gonna fall apart.

I wish our established, proven kiltmakers would talk more about the thread they use - it holds the kilt together and is probably the most important part of the garment. I know my hand sewn kiltmaker uses special thread from Great Britain or Germany...

Even in the old days when Utilikilts made a white vegan workman's that you could dye if you wanted to they were using a polyesther thread that wouldn't accept dye - Gotta pay attention to the details.

And for the new folks on the board - always remember when buying kilts you can have any two of price, service, or quality.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast